cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No cellular data since ios7 update

Anonymous
Not applicable
Since I downloaded ios7 on my iPhone 5 I have not been able to access the internet at all when I am away from a wifi connection. Even when my phone says I have a 3G connection and I try to access my emails or anything on the internet- it says no internet connection. Before the update it worked fine. Any suggestions as to how this can be fixed? Thanks
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi bandofbrothers,
Status is good in the area.
The phone is not jailbroken.
3G symbol is sometimes visible in the top left of the screen next to the o2signal strength indicator, but when I try to connect a dialogue box opens stating' Could not activate cellular network you are not subscribed to a cellular data service'.
At other times the text iGPRS replaces 3G in the corner..I can't connect to the internet away from wifi when it's says either. Who knows, feels like all areas are 'passing the book'

Good Evening,

To be honest it does not affect the iPhone being jail-broken. Ive been jail-breaking for years.

Have you tried swapping the sim card by picking up a blank from an o2 store.

If you turn off 3g in the iPhones settings does this improve the connection at all, albiet it will be slower. Gprs and Edge TBH are really slow.

Have o2 uk Customer Services on 202 Contract or 4445 Payg confirmed your account is ok.

Please give your Apn settings a quick check just to ensure they are Ok.

Its probably not this but it causes no harm to check.

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/chapter/595-04-how-to-set-apn-settings-for-the-02-mobile-network

Do you have someone who has a phone that takes your sim card size to put yours in to check what data connection you get to rule out your iphone as the culprit.

If your iphone is within its warranty the guys at the Apple Genius Bar should run a diagnostic on it as long as you make an appointment.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

Message 21 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's like mine which is a sim only contract meaning the default setting of idate in each APN doesn't work and I have to change the first one to:  mobile.o2.co.uk and the third one to: wap.o2.co.uk.  Then restart phone generally.  

Because i'm not on an iPhone tariff i need to change these and also cant use tethering unfortunately, and PAYG people change it to payandgo.o2.co.uk.  

I need to change this everytime my phone is updated as it refreshes these, hope that helps for future reference.  

Message 22 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Miracle of miracles ....2 days ago 3G appeared to be working...doing nothing seemed to fix it.
Good info though celchapman, I suspect this was largely to blame.
Message 23 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue and could only get GPRS.

Try Settings  - Mobile - Enable 4G

I turned off the 'enable 4G' and now works fine slight_smile

Message 24 of 33

Stonkin
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My iPad Mini began to display "no service" when I turned on the O2 data service a couple of weeks ago. Initially I left it until connecting to wifi but it soon became a problem. Then, when O2 rewarded me with double GB I thought I had better sort it out. I spent a while chatting to an O2 Guru earlier this week and this resulted in them sending me a replacement SIM card. On receipt, I called (another) O2 Guru for help with the installation. He checked my account and original SIM card and declared that both were OK and that I contact Apple Service before doing anything else. So I did that and - lo & behold - problem fixed in 2 mins. I had forgotten that my iPad had asked permission to upgrade to iOS7 and had let it get on with it. Turns out there's a gremlin which can affect data, requiring a re-boot. After re-booting, I had to reconfigure wifi, but once done everything is working fine. But I can't understand why the O2 Gurus are not aware of this (widespread?) problem. Maybe 'Guru' is an ambitious title. Enjoy your data plan!
Message 25 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has worked for me.  I've been struggling with this problem for a week now, it's the second time that it's happened after updating the IOS.  It's a pain in the backside, I tried everything, even wiped the entire phone and reset it to factory settings but nothing worked.   I don't know why it's doing this, it shouldn't, I'm on a bog-standard tariff, but maybe my phone is too old (it's an iPhone 3GS).  Having said that, I'm not a happy bunny, not at all.  Next contract won't be with O2.

Message 26 of 33

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145017 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
I didn't think you could get 7 on a 3gs ??
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

to all who have a problem with O2 mobail data service on Iphone

To change the APN settings on Apple devices (like the iPhone or iPad), open the following site in Safari: m.APNchanger.org (requires Wi-Fi connection):

Click button "Auto"
Select your preferred carrier from the drop-down menu
Click the "Install" Profiles and install it on your device "

Once this is done enjoy freedom 3G on your phone. slight_smile

Message 28 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks - this solved a problem I've had for over 3 months!
Message 29 of 33

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145017 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
That's a long time to be without your phone 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 33