Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£1 data charge on PAYG and MMS

Viewfinder
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 33 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had a read through the other threads involving the £1 data charge being deducted on PAYG for data use, most of them recommending disabling Mobile Data on an iPhone.

However, what I can't find in the forum yet is that I'm pretty sure MMS photo messaging on an iPhone needs Mobile Data enabled to send MMS, correct me if I'm wrong.

I do have MMS Messaging enabled under Settings > Messaging but it always requires Mobile Data enabling otherwise MMS fails.

On my old old Samsung slide phone, I was able to use MMS over 3G and not once did I get the £1 charge, but on the iPhone I don't think I can see how I'm able to send MMS over 3G without Mobile Data?

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Viewfinder
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 33 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Cheers all for the responses, it does back up my initial thoughts that it's more of a problem with iphone, and possibly even moreso with the 3S which doesn't let you granulate which app can use Mobile Data! As I mentioned, my ye olde Samsung slide phone (bog standard phone and not smartphone) let me use SMS and MMS and wasn't ever charged for data on PAYG sim. The 4S seems to have an extra screen with On/Off sliders against each app so seems easier to allow MMS data and block apps sneaking out at the same time... Was hoping an O2 rep would have posted a reply too rather than phone them. Will wait and see... Thanks all.
Message 11 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145885 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28086 Solutions
It's just customers here friend....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 12 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You're welcome.

No O2 rep will officially post here to you. slight_smile

IOS 7 does have more options to control features which is not compatible with the iPhone you have.
Message 13 of 13