Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S8 Oreo update

CraigR
Level 4: Observant
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

The Oreo update is now being rolled out in Germany, Poland and India.

Does O2 have a release date yet?

Message 1 of 271
270 REPLIES 270

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriffwrote:

I wonder why you aren't thinking about changing network @CraigR?

This isn't a facetious comment by the way but a genuine question...

Already said in previous replies that I will be when my contract runs out. Will be difficult, though. Ive been with O2 since they were BTCellnet and where I live they offer the best coverage. They sort of have me by the balls.

Message 181 of 271

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Oh and O2 firmware has different modem files than unbranded, it's why generally O2 firmware has more networking options than unbranded, so yeah, there is that.
Message 182 of 271

bob0411
Level 3: Thinker
  • 34 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hmm, the apologists are out in force again I see! smile

On the grounds that we're way behind every other carrier on the planet with this release perhaps?

Or that a market leading, flagship phone costing in excess of £600 pounds is running security software that is now 4 months out of date?

Are those good enough reasons? 

It's easy to say 'sorry' but actions speak louder than words!

Message 183 of 271

leftbehind
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

All the networks in Britain have updated to Oreo except o2 why are o2 different (slower) than the rest?? All any customer can ask is when o2 think the update will be available I don't think that is to much to ask I have been an o2 customer for 10 years I have been loyal respect me and all the money I have paid you over the years by getting your finger out and communicate with your customers without us you are nothing

Message 184 of 271

rickit
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 21 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I think o2 new advertising slogan should read either simply the worst or simply the slowest? You guys choose 😁
Message 185 of 271

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Just seen this on the official O2 Twitter:

"We can understand your frustration. We’re testing this with Samsung but don’t yet have any ETA to share. We’re hopeful we’ll know more in the coming weeks."

Like I said before we're not seeing an update anytime before June.

They hate us peasants with the lowly S8, we should buy a new S9 or Apple if we want speedy customer service....
Message 186 of 271

MeaninglessOne
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I switched to O2 from EE (and from a pixel to a galaxy s8 after reading the poor pixel2 screen reviews).

Firstly, i can say that the o2 experience is leagues better than EE generally. Im not going to get into the pros/cons of the S8 vs Px2, although i have to say that not having the latest android is a pain. I was in the Oreo beta program on my Pixel (and the OTA rollout) and i can say that the backend improvements should be wodnerful on the S8.

Its understandable that when its not stock, it takes logner. We have not only o2 but also samsung muckety-mucks discussing at length the rollout and issues of Oreo with Google.

But, i think its fair to say that the ball has been dropped here. All we can hope for is that the Android P rollout is a little more timely, probably when we have all upgraded to the S9/10 and have treble.

To be honest i am less worried about Oreo than the poor rollout of security patches. The pixel was very good at this and my phone was one of the few safe in the slew of cyber attacks last year. I think this is something that really needs tightening up with samsung/o2 (despite the S8 having baked in antivirius etc..which the pixel doesnt have).

Still.. frustrating considering the cost and tie-in to contract. There are literally no upgrade/transfer options for me only a few months in unless i want to spend a fortune.

Message 187 of 271

gjdemon6646
  • 191 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Im amazed that the twitter response is "coming weeks" an absolute joke. They are one of the biggest networks and this shouldnt be an issue but is causing lots of customers to get annoyed/upset.

After 17 years i think this might be the end of the line for me. My friends are all on 3, have had their update a few weeks ago and have better tarriffs.

Bye bye o2

Message 188 of 271

Spitfire400
  • 25 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
How do I unsubscribe from this thread? I keep getting notifications, and now that my handset is unbranded( not affecting the manufacturer warranty or any Insurance on device whatsoever), I just don't need the disappointment of being told over & over that a security update due in December will be arriving soon. So please, can someone tell me how I unsubscribe from this?
Message 189 of 271

Spitfire400
  • 25 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
And as far as features go, 4g calling. Wow, someone at o2 voted for that over other features such as enhanced messaging. Use more bandwidth and slow down the mobile data for other users. I don't need it right now, I can wait for 5g for that. How often are we all on WiFi anyway? And WiFi calling is available on unbranded firmware.
Message 190 of 271