cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S3 fried my SD card

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's been a lot of talk about this in US forums and it's finally happened to me...

Two or three days ago, my Galaxy S3 started to not recognise my Micro SD card (4GB Samsung). Battery life seemed to plummet at the same time (which I gather may be from it trying to read/fail, read/fail continuously). Popped it out and have plugged into my PC and I am currently running a scan on the card using CardRecovery (not looking hopeful). For some reason it is listing 4 drives for the one card and alarmingly in properties they all show '0 bytes free space, 0 bytes used space'. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for recovering the data or is it a basket case?

Judging from the large number of people who have experienced the S3 frying their SD cards, mine is not an isolated incident. One forum post indicated that the SD card gets fried when there is a power fluctuation not through overheating. S3 users/buyers - be warned. Keep your SD card backed up, because the phone frying your card is a very real possibility as happened to me.  

O2 released Android 4.1.2 today - does that fix the issue? My card is still unreadable. 

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

From the bits I have read sandisk seems to be a problem but the OP is using the samsung 4GB. 

I would still make sure it is not a SD card issue first. I have had loads crap out on me over the years ( I back up)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not doubting the information you have read but SD cards are notorious for crapping out. 

Have you tried another SD card in the phone yet?

I doubt very much other than sending the card of at great expense without guarantee of retrieving the data. 

Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144883 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Not heard of this happening.... I'll have a Google...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Not heard of this happening.... I'll have a Google...

There are cases out there but all the ones I have read do not suggest that they have emliminated the SD as the fault. Samsung from the extracts/chat/emails I have read have said they have not heard of the issue. 

With 18 million S3's being sold worldwide a few thousand is not a known issue to them. 

Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

MI5
  • 144883 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
I wondering if the are all a particular type / size of card.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 9

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I wondering if the are all a particular type / size of card.....?

You mean the phone's too powerful for the smaller sd card?

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

From the bits I have read sandisk seems to be a problem but the OP is using the samsung 4GB. 

I would still make sure it is not a SD card issue first. I have had loads crap out on me over the years ( I back up)

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're not alone. It has damaged my 2gb and 32gb card. I am far from impressed.

Message 9 of 9