cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SMS conversion to MMS

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and I've noticed that my account has been charged because of MMS messages. I've read some forums, etc. but can't manage to find anything useful to my situation. 

Does anybody know if there is a way to stop the SMS>MMS conversion? I've had a look through the settings and I can't find anything to help.

I send long messages and I'd rather not be charged each time it happens... ๐Ÿ˜ž 

Thanks very much! slight_smile

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kuribo
Level 3: Thinker
  • 55 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Download Google's Android Messages app from the play store and use that as your SMS app (or textra or whichever you prefer) it'll let you type as much as you want and send as SMS it doesn't convert to MMS after a certain limit like the (old) Samsung built in SMS app (the S8 SMS app doesn't do this).

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Long messages will convert to mms because messages only have certain amount of characters before they are classed as mms which includes emojis 

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
So there's no way to stop this?
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not unless you use a free messenger app like WhatsApp 

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, thank you. slight_smile
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome & welcome to the forum 

Message 6 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144652 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
My help thread may be useful to you and you can usually switch off MMS in your settings but stay below 480 characters and you won't have a problem https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 12

Kuribo
  • 55 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Download Google's Android Messages app from the play store and use that as your SMS app (or textra or whichever you prefer) it'll let you type as much as you want and send as SMS it doesn't convert to MMS after a certain limit like the (old) Samsung built in SMS app (the S8 SMS app doesn't do this).
Message 8 of 12

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Great tip @Kuribo! Do you know if the app splits up long texts or just sends them as a one large MMS? 

โ†’ COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
โ†’ Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
โ†’ Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
โ†’ Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 12

Kuribo
  • 55 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
It sends them as one long SMS, I use it to chat to a friend as we always type a lot and I used to go over the Samsung limit all the time! ๐Ÿ˜‚
Message 10 of 12