cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 5 security patch level

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that O2 no doubt has it's own branded version of the Nokia 5 firmware but just wondered what the patch level is up to?

I purchased a SIM free one from CPW in April as my Samsung J3 2016 had fallen off Samsung's patch roadmap and due to their promise of getting patches out more often

On connecting the phone and starting it for the first time it downloaded and installed Oreo 8.0 and then the March patch.

Got nothing in April and then mid may got Oreo 8.1.0 with April patch, the phone went on to install the May patch.

Had nothing in June and have read reports that the July patch has been rolled out for the UK market.

I know it's not the 8 Sirocco but this does feel a bit like they are not living up to their promise.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I though they were supposed to get updates directly and not have any network intervention?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
I'm not sure if ota is scheduled through each network. Whereas factory devices I have owned in the past have allowed data over lan through an app and install through a pc. Some us networks can choose when they provision updates
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/security-updates
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Security Patches are also sometimes included with Maintenance Releases.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, been keeping my eye on that page.

I expect there are still operator variants of the firmware to accommodate stuff like VoLTE settings (though hopefully one day ofcom or the GSM Association will decree that this info has to be able to be provisioned for all handsets via a download perhaps) and their branded non removable apps.

I tend to disable mobile data and use Wi-Fi at home and work (as I'm lucky to have good connections at both), the updates have arrived quite happily OTA via Wi-Fi and as far as I can tell HMD don't offer any sort of equivalent to Kies.

Message 6 of 6