cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto G5 software / security updates

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just noticed my phone is still running Android 7 & the security patch is dated 1 Jan 17.

I know the G5 is still awaiting the Oreo update but 7.1.1 was released a few months ago & several security patches have also been released. Never had an Android phone before, so how do I go about getting these updates.

I’ve tried settings & it says it’s up to date.. but I know it isn’t.. (I’ve searched Google before I came here)

Your help is appreciated! 

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

WhereMyOreoTho
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

bad recommendation?

Message 11 of 29

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

bridder
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all, new to O2 here, I've just received my (like new) Moto G5 and I'm in the same position as the original poster, January 2017 security patch and running Android 7.0. From what I can gather from Motorola there have been several security updates released for the Moto G5 and the Oreo 8.1 update has started to be pushed out recently, I do realise that the O2 variant will require work from O2 to rubber stamp their approval on the Oreo upate, but mine appears to have launch day software on it and is stating that it is up to date!

Some questions if anyone can chip in please;

1. Have O2 not given this device a single update yet? As when I go into settings and try to do a manual update it says I am up to date?
  2. Is this essentially an abandoned model now by O2?

What I don't understand is if they have given some updates out, why I can't get anything out of a manual check for updates, user Curmudgeon in this very thread has stated they received their mobile back from O2 after repair with the August 2017 patch applied.

I only received the device on Saturday the 21st so have 14 days to return it if I wish, the lack of updates does put me off the device; any replies appreciated.

Thanks,
John C.

Message 13 of 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144076 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Only @Chris_K is likely to know.......?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 29

bridder
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5, I'll give him/her some time to reply but probably send a private message maybe tomorrow. Would that be the best way to get an answer do you think?

Message 15 of 29

MI5
  • 144076 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Yes, that would be fine to do.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 29

bridder
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I sent the private message to Chris_K and haven't had a reply yet, I've given him/her a couple of days now. I think even if I had it wouldn't be what I wanted to hear anyway as if O2 had updates available they would be downloadable through the mobiles update facility.

The like new mobiles are sold with the assurance that they have the latest operating system, as I understood Oreo 8.1, this Moto G5 looks like it is on launch day software and I'm just disappointed and want to return the mobile, I have 14 days and it only arrived last Saturday.

Is the link below the correct procedure to return the mobile (from Google search results)?

Do I have to put an explanatory note in with the mobile to explain why I'm returning it?

If not the above, could someone tell me the correct procedure please? I'd really appreciate it...

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(RelatedHe...

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

John C.

Message 17 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

I will mention @Chris_K here @bridder

He has just returned from annual leave and probably still playing catch up wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 29

MI5
  • 144076 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
2 mentions and a pm, surely he must know a customer needs help by now ?

Currently using:
Message 19 of 29

bridder
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks Cleorif and MI5, I'll probably give the customer services team a call tomorrow when I get home from work on 0344 809 0202, I've got that number from the change of mind policy page, link below;

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-change-of-mind-policy

John C.

Message 20 of 29