cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an idiot's guide to updating Galaxy S4 to latest Android version?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it safe and/or sensible just to invoke the OTA update procedure?

Is a factory reset required?  If so, how is that achieved?

All help greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
OTA is the easiest way - just let it run and do it's own thing.
If you notice any issues after the update make a backup with Kies and factory reset it.
You can reset from the settings menu or from recovery mode which is accessed by holding power and volume up (when phone is off).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
As long as you are not rooted, just update OTA. The phone restarts in recovery so it can access the system files. It'll be fine 😊
Message 2 of 17

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
OTA is the easiest way - just let it run and do it's own thing.
If you notice any issues after the update make a backup with Kies and factory reset it.
You can reset from the settings menu or from recovery mode which is accessed by holding power and volume up (when phone is off).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 17

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You may find the phone is perfectly ok without a factory reset. If you do need to do it just make sure it's all backed up first. We can advise you how to factory reset if need be.

Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks @Anonymous ,  @MI5 and @jonsie  - this all sounds quite reassuring for someone who is terrified of updating any electronic device (having experienced some horrendous disasters in the early days of my love/hate relationship with such things).

I have prepared by doing a full back up of phone via Kies onto my PC. I have also independently copied valued photos, videos, audio files and some data files to portable hard drive as an insurance.  

Just one wee supplementary question at this stage.   If my phone "restarts in recovery " after the OTA update - what does that mean in practice?  How and when does it revert to  the normal mode of operation? 

Message 5 of 17

MI5
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
It will just continue to boot normally - just leave it alone until it's finished.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 123064 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It will just continue to boot normally - just leave it alone until it's finished.

Oh blimey ...I have been through this malarky. Very hard to stop myself having a panic attack whilst praying to the great god Android to get a damn move on...Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 17

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It's fairly difficult to select the wrong option, most processes are automated.

Message 8 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 123064 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It's fairly difficult to select the wrong option, most processes are automated.

I am sure you are correct @jonsie  but I have only done it once...and it was a frightening experience wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you again @MI5 and @jonsie  - most grateful,  indeed I have even overcome my distaste for the Kudos system to mark my appreciation!!! :O))

Off now to take the OTA plunge - will report back in due course.

Message 10 of 17