cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei no longer getting Android securityupdates.

SteffTJ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Google announced they're no longer working with Huawei. So this means no software updates including security updates.

I'm 1 month into a contract with a P30, would they let me swap handsets? Don't feel like going 2 years without feature or security updates!
Message 1 of 97
96 REPLIES 96

Peter247
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The temporary license is a good start, although it is only for 90 days, so it doesn't really alleviate any concerns. 90 days is long enough, especially if you consider some devices will be approaching a year old by then...

@gmarkj Except the LG V30 was released on Oct 2017 and interestingly LG list the March 2019 security patch as the latest update so O2 are being slow there! There are also plans to bring Android Pie to the LG V30, which means it will have received 2 major version updates.
Unless this issue is all resolved properly (not just temporarily) Huawei devices will not receive any major version updates or prompt security patches.

People like myself are rightly concerned about this given the cost of the device and actually it is written down (sort of) that the device will receive updates.
Google's licensing agreement for Android stipulates that popular devices must receive (at a minimum) security updates for two years since launch.

Given the increase in serious security issues that are found in modern devices, Heartbleed, Meltdown and Spectre being great examples it isn't unreasonable for people to be worried about this.
Especially if you only buy a device once every few years, you'd expect updates for at least a year minimum...
Message 71 of 97

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I suppose the 90 days respite is to allow further negotiations

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android/Huawei-Panic-Over/m-p/1224477/highlight/true#M72208

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 72 of 97

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I know the official statement was posted above but to make sure everyone sees it I've posted it below. 

"We continue to monitor statements from Huawei and Honor, and Google so that we can keep our customers updated. Google have confirmed that for existing Huawei and Honor smartphone users things will stay the same for now, and customers don’t need to take any action."

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 73 of 97

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I was all ready to look at paying off my device plan today and upgrading to a new phone, as I do have serious concerns regarding security should the final decision be to pull all support for huawei devices.  I only took my new contract out in August, so still have 15 months to go yet.

I use things like Google Pay, which, for obvious reasons I cannot continue using if Google doesn't allow updates to be sent to Huawei devices.

As it seems for now things will remain the same, I'm not going to jump the gun, but if this seems inevitable, I may just do it anyway. 

Above all else though, I think it is Google who should be compensating people, not O2.  However you look at it, it is a disgrace that people with these phones are not to be compensated in any way.  The high end devices such as the P20/30 Pros, Mate etc cost upwards of £800 retail.  That's a lot of money for anyone to lose due to, let's face it, paranoia by western governments.  It's like the damn cold war all over again!!!

Thanks

Steve
Message 74 of 97

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@welshsteve76 wrote:

I was all ready to look at paying off my device plan today and upgrading to a new phone, as I do have serious concerns regarding security should the final decision be to pull all support for huawei devices.  I only took my new contract out in August, so still have 15 months to go yet.

I use things like Google Pay, which, for obvious reasons I cannot continue using if Google doesn't allow updates to be sent to Huawei devices.

As it seems for now things will remain the same, I'm not going to jump the gun, but if this seems inevitable, I may just do it anyway. 

Above all else though, I think it is Google who should be compensating people, not O2.  However you look at it, it is a disgrace that people with these phones are not to be compensated in any way.  The high end devices such as the P20/30 Pros, Mate etc cost upwards of £800 retail.  That's a lot of money for anyone to lose due to, let's face it, paranoia by western governments.  It's like the damn cold war all over again!!!

@welshsteve76  On the BBC news yesterday lunchtime,  they did call it 'The Cold War of Technology'

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 75 of 97

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Very fitting description @Cleoriff 

If it weren't for the fact it's gonna cost me around £300 to pay off my device I'd change today

Thanks

Steve
Message 76 of 97

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@welshsteve76 wrote:

If it weren't for the fact it's gonna cost me around £300 to pay off my device I'd change today

I would hold fire @welshsteve76  if I were you. They have granted a 90 grace period and with all the negotiations going on, it way well be a 'storm in a teacup' (Hopefully)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 77 of 97

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@welshsteve76 wrote:

I would hold fire @welshsteve76  if I were you. They have granted a 90 grace period and with all the negotiations going on, it way well be a 'storm in a teacup' (Hopefully)

@Cleoriff makes a very good point @welshsteve76 and I think you should hold fire as 90 days is enough time for everything to change drastically and resolve any issues and concerns the US government, for which read Trump, may have concerning Huawei.

And don't blame Google. They are an American-based company and are bound to follow the law, whether they agree with it or not. Trump put them between a rock and a hard place with his ban of Huawei. And, there was nothing they could do but what they originally did. I doubt they were particularly happy with the decision they were forced to make, thanks to Trump paranoia rolling_eyes

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 78 of 97

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I'm sure o2 will come up with another statement soon. The 3 months have does give things time to be resolved between Trump and China. I doubt very much this will go longer than the grace period, the US needs China just as much as China badly needs the US and Google to get their products back on sale. I can see this being the death of Huawei otherwise. 

Message 79 of 97

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Is the whole thing just paranoia?  Or has anybody actually provided hard evidence that Huawei technology is a risk? Microsoft got away with releasing software with serious security issues for years.  I mean, they have their seriously flawed OS on about 75% of the world's desktop/laptop computers, got away with the awful Internet Explorer security issues for years etc etc.  But of course, Microsoft is Amercian, so that's ok because america saves the world on a daily basis thinking

Thanks

Steve
Message 80 of 97