cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei no longer getting Android securityupdates.

SteffTJ
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Google announced they're no longer working with Huawei. So this means no software updates including security updates.

I'm 1 month into a contract with a P30, would they let me swap handsets? Don't feel like going 2 years without feature or security updates!
Message 1 of 97
96 REPLIES 96

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@SteffTJ I've not heard anything official from O2 regarding this so best to tag in @Martin-O2 or @Chris_K for the official line.......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 97

Cleoriff
  • 122920 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Martin-O2 @Chris_K ?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 97

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Another issue!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 97

BOSSGOGG
Level 8: Talented
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Ouch.

Huawei no go

unnamed
Message 5 of 97

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@SteffTJ  This article offers some explanation of the situation: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/19/google-suspends-some-business-with-huawei-after-trump-blacklist.html

"Huawei will continue to have access to the version of the Android operating system available through the open source license that is freely open to anyone who wishes to use it.

But Google will stop providing any technical support and collaboration for Android and Google services to Huawei going forward, the source said."

As you're also already outside the cooling off period, you most likely wouldn't be able to swap phones, but that's just a guess.

You can wait and see if the community admin know any more, or you could speak to customer service tomorrow. https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 97

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35932 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions

@BOSSGOGG wrote:

Ouch.

Huawei no go

@Cleoriff - Honor mentined at the foot of the article @BOSSGOGG mentions above, knowing you recently won such a beast...(!).

Message 7 of 97

Cleoriff
  • 122920 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@BOSSGOGG wrote:

Ouch.

Huawei no go

@Cleoriff - Honor mentined at the foot of the article @BOSSGOGG mentions above, knowing you recently won such a beast...(!).

I knew it was too good to be true!! angry

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 97

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Well that's rendered all Huawei phones pretty worthless now, that's for sure......

Currently using:
Message 9 of 97

Cleoriff
  • 122920 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

This about the phone I won sob

Honor, a sub-brand of Huawei, had been set to launch the Honor 20 on Tuesday May 21, in London — it’s unclear what will now happen.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 97