cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to home wifi Galaxy s3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help, please!

Turned wifi onn phone on, and tried connecting to home wifi, entered wap key.

Phone comes up connecting and shows the signal strength as very strong.

Phone says equiring ip address

Phone says saved and secure

Phone then goes back to connecting

Then says Network Disabled, Poor connection yet still shows signal strength as strong.

Phone connects to internet over mobile network no problem

Help please.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

AAAARrrrrrrrrrrgh

Phone will not connect to daughters home network either, took it to an O2 shop and guess whta, the minute I walked in the door the phone connected to the stores network. Been on the phone to customer services and they can't find anything wrong with router but are upgrading me to a wireless 5 in case it is to do with g and n signals or something.

So we will see what happens thanksfor your help and suggestions though

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149486 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
Try rebooting your router first...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

yup rebooted router, reset wifi on phone .............

think I may have to try connecting to daughters wifi and if tht fails return the phone to a o2 store for checking

thanks

Message 3 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149486 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
Honestly I doubt its the phone. What channel is your wifi broadcasting on? If its the same as other networks nearby you could be getting a conflict which will give the error you are seeing.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes thanks, after the second wifi reset it finally connected to my network, but haven't managed to repeat yet

Message 5 of 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You said you entered the wap key, this should have been the WEP key, try changing the router to WPA, WPA2 or WPA+WPA2 encryption, if it's set to WEP the security isn't that good.

You may also get a better connection.

Also if it's on auto channel selection change it to a fixed channel as some phones can't connect above channel 11.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

My bad, meant WEP. How do I hange to oher encryptions or channels, router is an O2 basic jobbie (O2 wireless 2) that is 5 years old TIA

Message 7 of 13

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Not a problem, that's a very good router you have there:

http://www.o2help.co.uk/router-wpa-security/ (Oliver's help pages)

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

AAAARrrrrrrrrrrgh

Phone will not connect to daughters home network either, took it to an O2 shop and guess whta, the minute I walked in the door the phone connected to the stores network. Been on the phone to customer services and they can't find anything wrong with router but are upgrading me to a wireless 5 in case it is to do with g and n signals or something.

So we will see what happens thanksfor your help and suggestions though

Message 9 of 13

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Check out the Box V and compare it with the II as you may find it a slower connection, you could always send the new one back if that happens.

I still believe this should work, have you double checked the log in password you're using is correct and in the right case with no spaces, and no zeros swapped for O?

Message 10 of 13