cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android security patch not provided by O2! (and major updates?)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I bought a Pixel 2 XL last week. I was trying to get the latest security patch (Oct 2), so I contacted O2 because I haven't got it yet. Custormer service (chat) said to me that O2 doesn't realise security patches.

Even, they didn't answer me whether they would realise major android updates.

Has anybody got the same problem?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123121 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Well that appears to be a way round it? ....Learn something every day I do....Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 28

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Quite ridiculous that O2 are blocking the update but there again nothing surprises me about O2 these days. 

Message 12 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I got rather bored waiting for the level 2 gurus and gave up.

I am going to work on the assumption that O2 aren't releasing the Pixel 2 updates downstream from Google for no other reason than they can't be bothered. I can't think it will break anything on their network as the Nexus 5X was fine, and anyway it isn't as though they are going to be giving us WiFI calling unless we lock into their network.

So, monthly sim swap it is for me at the moment.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I have better things to do than wait for a L2 Guru who will probably just say they can't do anything about it.

Message 13 of 28

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
Yes, no doubt that would be the answer.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 123121 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Can't blame you for that @Anonymous Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 28

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It is something that @Chris_K really needs to come back with answers for O2 blocking it. . 

Message 16 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK. So a little more detail.

With the phone on, yes it's probably bad and the pixel 2 boots in about 5 seconds, so I'm not really saving time, but we are here to test the limits of what is possible!

o2 sim removed, FP sim inserted and registered on network.

Update shows immediately and updating process begins (make sure you have sufficient battery)....this takes a while, but now happens in the background like a chromebook (Microsoft please please please take note of this). A slightly longer restart (13 seconds) and the phone is back up and running. Another hot sim swap and I'm back up and running.

It seems that the Google assistant may have been slightly put out by the whole process, but that could have been to do with something else entirely. But no factory resets in sight!

/edit - Phone works on the network, and rumour has it that any old sim could possibly work it doesn't have to be contracted. I can't verify this.

Message 17 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 123121 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Thanks for the update @Anonymous.... A clever workaround or so it appears...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 28

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Thanks for the update @Anonymous.... A clever workaround or so it appears...:smileywink:

.... but a workaround that shouldn't be necessary and a workaround that has to be found by a customer's own ingenuity. 

Message 19 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 123121 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

.... but a workaround that shouldn't be necessary and a workaround that has to be found by a customer's own ingenuity. 

Can't argue with that but if O2 are overly slow in rolling out updates then a customers ingenuity should be applauded...clapclap

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 28