Did you mean: 

O2 Network Issues - 6th December 2018

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Good morning all, 

We are aware our customers are unable to use data this morning.

Our technical teams are working on the issue with high priority. We are really sorry and working as hard and as fast as we can to fix this.

Please keep an eye on our status checker: http://o2.uk/ServiceStatus 

Latest Update:

Our 3G and 4G data services are performing as normal. Our technical teams are continuing to monitor service performance closely. We will be updating our customers later today on how we will make yesterday’s data service issue up to them and we’d once again like to thank our customers for their patience. 

A small proportion of customers have reported issues sending text messages. We can see that the vast majority are being sent and received successfully and our technical teams are investigating. Our 3G and 4G data services are performing as normal.

We are finalising how we make it up to our customers and will be contacting them later today about this. 

The Facebook mention around us giving out £75 compensation isn't correct and didn't come from us.

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 715
714 REPLIES 714

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Stu84 wrote:
I've just seen someone get £75 off their bill due to all the problems caused today how do we go about getting it

Absolute rubbish. No one would have been awarded anything at all today. Think you have fallen for a big lie by the FB poster  joy

Hook, line & sinker comes to mind 

Message 431 of 715

ClaydonKing
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Glad it's back... maybe they can then improve their abismal 0.5 mb download speed on 4G in various areas of preston  Due to congestion apparently. Why don't they invest substantial amount in data centres and 4G+ ?. 0.5 mb on 4G is unacceptable, if you paid fibre prices and got 2mb you would quite rightly be within your rights to get answers . I actually thought things were improving. Several weeks ago I was walking on my lunch time and noticed 4G+ , tested the speed and got above 20 ( compared to 0.5 ) , but then the very next day it was gone. Where has it gone? In fact today  was less stressful knowing it was completely gone ... at least if it's gone your not expecting what your already not getting . 

Message 432 of 715

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

3G working for me now (slowly) Cant get on 4G yet though

Message 433 of 715

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m the same but I think they are working on 4G now 

Message 434 of 715

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Evening all.

this may have already been mentioned so apologies,

But one thing I did notice today was that when I did get service back, the phone would only clamp onto the 2G network, which still shows you that even though 2G is an old network technology, it can do basic calls and sms, 

It’s still a robust and resilient network and can still be used when needed.

I know today has been not good for o2, but this really shows the weakness that one thing not only brings 3G and 4G down, but other networks global as well. 

You have to ask, why is there no back up, or is the back up good old 2G that some countries are turning off?

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 435 of 715

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darrengf I noticed that too. I had 2G for at least 90 minutes before I even had a sniff of 3G even then it was a slow data connection which was to be expected 

Message 436 of 715

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

To be fair this isnt actually an o2 issue at their end as such. It was a 3rd party supplier who just so happen o2 use.

o2 cant help it if Ericsson cant renew a software certificate

Message 437 of 715

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Anonymous Yes i Got 2G back about 6 ish tonight but had 2G on and off in bits through out the day.

and even with 2G running on less frequencies and capacity now, it was still able at a push to allow calls and sms.

its possible that why 2G may have gone dowm was more network capacity on 2G. The just sheer demand

Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 438 of 715

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darrengf we got it back at the same time then 

Message 439 of 715

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@paulbacon

I would agree, it may not be an O2 issue and Ericsson has owned up to it, but you still have to ask the question, where is the back up/resilience. 

Aircraft have back up systems so you can argue networks should as well.

The next argument is why only certain networks affected?  Other networks is Ericsson as well globally, so is the housekeeping in o2 not done.

I know things fail, people can and do make mistakes, but there has to be a much bigger issue than a basic certificate causing all this,  they have said they have decommissioned the software now, was o2 using old software from Ericsson, you just don’t know. 

Message 440 of 715