Did you mean: 

O2 - Like New

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Morning all,

As some keen eyes may have already spotted, we’ve very recently launched ‘Like New’. Like New devices from O2 are fully tested and refurbished handsets that have been returned to us for whatever reason. The important thing to remember is, every one of them goes through a 5 point check and if you change your mind, you’ll have 14 days to return it to us just like with a brand new phone.

So, why are O2 doing this?
As the second hand mobile market continues to grow, knowing who to trust online is a tricky business. While people on online auction and classified sites seem to be offering great deals, after buying and testing a range of second hand phones, O2’s research seems to suggest that these deals are too good to be true.

Out of 52 phones bought across a range of popular online auction sites:

• 33 were falsely advertised
  • 17 had something fundamentally wrong with them
  • 25 weren’t in good enough physical condition to be resold
  • 7 were fakes
  • 2 devices never turned up

Dominic Littlewood’s take on it

All the phones O2 received were analysed by O2 before being given to independent expert and consumer champion Dominic Littlewood, of Fake Britain and Saints and Scroungers fame, to assess. He said:

“If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Not only were a lot of the phones I looked at fake, or broken, some didn’t even turn up. If you’re buying a second hand phone, you are far better buying from a trusted operator where you can get a guarantee, rather than a stranger off the internet. You wouldn’t buy a phone from Del Boy, would you?”

What are the five-point checks and grades?

Each handset has to go through a series of checks to make sure it is in perfect working order for its new owners. Things tested include the physical condition of the phone – if it is not perfect, nearly perfect, or perfectly fine (with a maximum of 5 minor scuffs or scratches) then it cannot be resold. Phones are also tested to make sure they are not fake or stolen before being run through five key checks to make sure they are in fully working order:

1. Battery – ensuring the phone takes and holds a charge
  2. Audio – getting clear and crisp sound from speakers and microphones
  3. Screen – checking typing, rotation and pinch to zoom functions 
  4. Interface – checking the buttons, security features and cameras all work
  5. Connectivity – making sure connectivity features like Wi-Fi work correctly

If a phone passes these checks, it is then wiped of all data, which is particularly important given 10% of phones in the study either had old customer data on them, or content such as images and video that would not be suitable for minors.

How do I buy ‘Like New’ handsets?

If you’re interested in buying a second hand device from someone you can trust, safe in the knowledge that the phone works perfectly then head right on over here and have a look at our range:

“You wouldn’t buy a phone from Del Boy, would you?”

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122795 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Chris_K After a very quick read these seem like a good idea. One question. Are they locked to O2?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 15

MI5
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27611 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Chris_K After a very quick read these seem like a good idea. One question. Are they locked to O2?

and, if they are, will O2 unlock them in the normal way or will there be a waiting period?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 15

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
They will be
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 4 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

Right, as someone who sells on auction sites I take personal offence at this:

"While people on online auction and classified sites seem to be offering great deals, after buying and testing a range of second hand phones, O2’s research seems to suggest that these deals are too good to be true.

Out of 52 phones bought across a range of popular online auction sites:

33 were falsely advertised
17 had something fundamentally wrong with them
25 weren’t in good enough physical condition to be resold
7 were fakes
2 devices never turned up"

1. Were the buyers looking for fair prices or dirt cheap unrealistic offers? Looking at O2 like new, those prices seem fair to high, was the same price band applied to the auction sites or was it "selective purchasing"
2, applying the same techniques to Forum posts regarding O2 "refurbished" handsets.
Out of 20 posts:
12 were falsely advertised
15 had something fundamentally wrong with them
3 weren’t in good enough physical condition to be resold
2 devices never turned up
1 was a brand new unit

I get that O2 have this new/rebranded scheme going on and need to find their place in a loooooong established market, but doing so at the expense of faith in legitimate eBay etc sellers is not on... It's hard to get sales due to people worrying about scammers, let alone if the big boys wanna jump in the pool.

May I suggest before paying Dominic Littlewood sums of money to promote this scheme, O2 pay Anovo to add some more staff to do these 5 point checks, some recent stories have proved otherwise.

Message 5 of 15

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions

or better yet, get someone else more suitably qualified (competent!!) to do it!

oh, and the "stats" are misleading as it doesn't say how many of the 52 had each problem, and how many had a number of them.

it would have been better to do a little table showing how many had each fault and how many didn't, plus how many had no faults.

re the locked to o2 question, what if the device is from a different network and being traded in as part of a new contract/switch? can they remove the other lock and replace it with theirs?
how about branded os - can they reflash with their own without any issues?
and what about warranty? like new and almost new come with 12 months but no mention of perfectly fine...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 15

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I'd say non o2 handsets will still be recycled / sold in bulk to third parties.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 7 of 15

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6961 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having just purchased one of these 'perfectly fine' phones, only to find within 12 hours of receiving it, the screen keeps going unresponsive & shutting down, then spending 2 hours this morning on chat & phone help to customer services who are demanding to have security information when all I want to do is return the thing for a refund......

I think I'll stick to eBay in future, I've never had any problem with phones purchased from eBay sellers, and at least you don't have to remember the date your granny first started school in order to get through to someone helpful.

Now, if anyone can tell me how to return this useless phone, I'd welcome the help!

Message 9 of 15

MI5
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27611 Solutions
You should of had a returns label in the parcel, but if not, call customer services and they will send or email you one.
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 15