Did you mean: 

Emergency Alert Test: Sunday 23rd April at 3pm

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

502311_National_EmergencyAlerts_Date_Static_1920x1080 hr.jpg

Emergency Alerts is a new government service that will warn you if there is a danger to life nearby (e.g. flooding, fire).  In an emergency, mobile phone masts will broadcast an alert in the affected area.  The alert will automatically be received by compatible mobile phones and tablets in the area and will give advice about how to stay safe.

On Sunday 23rd April at 3pm the government will be sending a UK-wide Emergency Alerts test message to all compatible devices.  The message will make clear that no action is required, that the message is simply a test and will provide a link where you can find further information on the Emergency Alerts service.

When you receive the message, your phone or tablet may vibrate and make a loud siren-like sound for about ten seconds, even if it is set on ‘silent’. The message will appear on your screen.

You can opt out of receiving Emergency Alerts by adjusting your device settings, though the government advice is to keep them switched on for your own safety.

Emergency Alerts work on all 4G and 5G mobile networks in the UK. Emergency Alerts can only be sent by the emergency services and by government departments that deal with emergencies.  They do not need your phone number to send you an alert – if your device is compatible, it will automatically receive the message.  Data about you, your device or location will not be collected or shared.

You will not receive Emergency Alerts if your device is switched off, on airplane mode or connected to a 2G or 3G network.

Useful Links & Info

• More information on Emergency Alerts can be found at gov.uk/alerts.
  • We have more information on our website around how emergency alerts work, when you'll receive them, as well as some Q&A's
  • See the videos below showing what the alert will look and sound like, as well as an explainer video from the Government

Here's an explainer video from the UK Gov explaining more and how the technology works

Here's what the alert will look and sound like

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

EMG2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I didn't receive the alert - my mobile has 4G it was switched on and not on flight mode

Message 31 of 41

Denzil2321
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 53 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got the alert on I phone14 pro mate didn’t think I get it as was on WiFi not data but I got the alert 

Message 32 of 41

Sarah58
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve got an iPhone 14 on O2 but I didn’t get the alert ? Yet 3 other iPhones in the same room, on O2 did ? Anyone know why ? 

Message 33 of 41

Dex1969
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did not receive government alert

Message 34 of 41

Ian2000
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thought the system was supposed to provide timely alerts - my other half’s phone (also on O2) went off at 3pm yesterday however mine went off at 7.40am this morning - only close to 17 hours late.  Could have been embarrassing!

Message 35 of 41

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10933 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3125 Solutions

I saw someone on Vodafone report that as well, it is meant to time out, and only retry for 20minutes...  @Ian2000 

So not sure what the Government set the parameters at... 

But as I said I have a feeling they where testing all sorts of combinations.. 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 36 of 41

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12473 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1153 Solutions

Out of 5 phones I know of (my personal and work, wife, daughter and niece) only 3 got the alert.

Having read about the iOS and Android version thing I suspect daughter and niece phones are too old to get. 

Thanks @madasaf1sh !

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 37 of 41

OTWO-SNOOZER
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

"I have feeling as I have said previously, it wasnt sent to every single device":

That's the whole issue!  Why wasn't it sent to every device?!

Where's O2's appology to its users?!  O2 needs to follow Three UK tweet below that it will investigate this issue and report back to its customer!

"We're aware that a number of customers have not received the test alert.
We're working closely with the government to understand why and ensure it doesn't happen when the system is in use.

— Three UK (@ThreeUK) April 23, 2023"

Message 38 of 41

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7397 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

As I had 2 networks active at the time not sure if mine came by EE or O2.

Interesting that my wife got the alert on a phone running Android 10 which was not supposed to happen

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 39 of 41

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10933 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3125 Solutions

Why should o2 apologise to when it was a test by HM governmentl, so it should be the Cabinet Office who do the apology... 

You test for failure as well as success in these situations, to understand what mitigations are needed. 

To be honest, if its run by a Government dept, or civil servants its going to be a mess and not be done properly, or over complicated. 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 40 of 41