Did you mean: 

Emergency Alert Test: Sunday 23rd April at 3pm

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

502311_National_EmergencyAlerts_Date_Static_1920x1080 hr.jpg

Emergency Alerts is a new government service that will warn you if there is a danger to life nearby (e.g. flooding, fire).  In an emergency, mobile phone masts will broadcast an alert in the affected area.  The alert will automatically be received by compatible mobile phones and tablets in the area and will give advice about how to stay safe.

On Sunday 23rd April at 3pm the government will be sending a UK-wide Emergency Alerts test message to all compatible devices.  The message will make clear that no action is required, that the message is simply a test and will provide a link where you can find further information on the Emergency Alerts service.

When you receive the message, your phone or tablet may vibrate and make a loud siren-like sound for about ten seconds, even if it is set on ‘silent’. The message will appear on your screen.

You can opt out of receiving Emergency Alerts by adjusting your device settings, though the government advice is to keep them switched on for your own safety.

Emergency Alerts work on all 4G and 5G mobile networks in the UK. Emergency Alerts can only be sent by the emergency services and by government departments that deal with emergencies.  They do not need your phone number to send you an alert – if your device is compatible, it will automatically receive the message.  Data about you, your device or location will not be collected or shared.

You will not receive Emergency Alerts if your device is switched off, on airplane mode or connected to a 2G or 3G network.

Useful Links & Info

• More information on Emergency Alerts can be found at gov.uk/alerts.
  • We have more information on our website around how emergency alerts work, when you'll receive them, as well as some Q&A's
  • See the videos below showing what the alert will look and sound like, as well as an explainer video from the Government

Here's an explainer video from the UK Gov explaining more and how the technology works

Here's what the alert will look and sound like

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Pipstop78
Level 11: Motivator
  • 628 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I heard about this think it's a good idea 

Message 2 of 41

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Pipstop78 wrote:

I heard about this think it's a good idea 

I do too. I've seen some challenges from folk saying things like 'what will an alert tell me that I won't already know from the news?' and in response, I'd maybe suggest viewing these alerts as an additional layer of information, and one that could be critical for specific situations in the future.

As an example, consider you could be in a busy town center and you're headed towards an incident right around the corner at a tube or train station. This might become breaking news on BBC and send a notification to your phone, but everyone knows how easy it can be to miss or ignore a notification especially when you're out and about or commuting to work. With these emergency alerts, because of the sound emitted it's highly unlikely you'll miss or ignore it - so in viewing the alert you'll have information you wouldn't have had otherwise and that information could end up saving yours and others lives. 

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 3 of 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125600 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@Chris_K 

I heard something on the news today which made my mouth drop open! A pub in Hereford has banned Mobile phones on Sunday 23rd. Their spokesman said 'We serve a Carvery on Sundays and people don't want to be disturbed by this alert, when eating Sunday lunch/!!

How ridiculous!!😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 41

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38197 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

People in an abusive relationship have been asked to ensure their hidden mobile, if they have one, is switched off either side of the test to be sure the location of the hidden phone is not revealed to the other partner in the relationship.

Whoa!

Message 5 of 41

pgn
  • 38197 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1729 Solutions

I have a SIM in an older phone showing "Emergency calls only" - wonder if that one will blare at 3pm today too?

giphy (3) (28).gif

Message 6 of 41

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7768 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1641 Solutions

Waiting to see what happens on my dual SIM phone with both SIM Cards active for calls.

I assume it will come via the one using data.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 41

Luke30
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 389 Posts
  • 131 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've turned it off on my mobile phone.

LGreenwood
Message 8 of 41

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11264 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

Well that was ***** annoying, forgot on my work phone to turn it off... 

What an annoying racket

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 9 of 41

pgn
  • 38197 Posts
  • 240 Topics