Did you mean: 

Emergency Alert Test: Sunday 23rd April at 3pm

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

502311_National_EmergencyAlerts_Date_Static_1920x1080 hr.jpg

Emergency Alerts is a new government service that will warn you if there is a danger to life nearby (e.g. flooding, fire).  In an emergency, mobile phone masts will broadcast an alert in the affected area.  The alert will automatically be received by compatible mobile phones and tablets in the area and will give advice about how to stay safe.

On Sunday 23rd April at 3pm the government will be sending a UK-wide Emergency Alerts test message to all compatible devices.  The message will make clear that no action is required, that the message is simply a test and will provide a link where you can find further information on the Emergency Alerts service.

When you receive the message, your phone or tablet may vibrate and make a loud siren-like sound for about ten seconds, even if it is set on ‘silent’. The message will appear on your screen.

You can opt out of receiving Emergency Alerts by adjusting your device settings, though the government advice is to keep them switched on for your own safety.

Emergency Alerts work on all 4G and 5G mobile networks in the UK. Emergency Alerts can only be sent by the emergency services and by government departments that deal with emergencies.  They do not need your phone number to send you an alert – if your device is compatible, it will automatically receive the message.  Data about you, your device or location will not be collected or shared.

You will not receive Emergency Alerts if your device is switched off, on airplane mode or connected to a 2G or 3G network.

Useful Links & Info

• More information on Emergency Alerts can be found at gov.uk/alerts.
  • We have more information on our website around how emergency alerts work, when you'll receive them, as well as some Q&A's
  • See the videos below showing what the alert will look and sound like, as well as an explainer video from the Government

Here's an explainer video from the UK Gov explaining more and how the technology works

Here's what the alert will look and sound like

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

AlixV
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I didn’t receive the emergency alert. I have an iPhone connected to O2, am fully up to date with the software updates (16.4.1), and have the emergency alert notifications enabled. Very odd… and a little worrying! What would happen if it was a real emergency? 🤷‍♀️

Message 11 of 41

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 37634 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1709 Solutions

Are you sure you have not disabled the alerts unintentionally, @AlixV?

Here is where to look on your iPhone:

To disable alerts on an iPhone, go to the settings menu and press through to notifications. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and you will see an emergency alerts section, with Extreme Alerts and Severe Alerts. You can toggle between on and off using the button on the right-hand side."

Message 12 of 41

AlixV
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, I am sure the alerts are enabled. I did check that and they are all switched on… Only other thing I can think of is that O2 had a network issue in my area at the time? Who knows! 

Message 13 of 41

pgn
  • 37634 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1709 Solutions

@AlixV wrote:

Yes, I am sure the alerts are enabled. I did check that and they are all switched on… Only other thing I can think of is that O2 had a network issue in my area at the time? Who knows! 

Could be, @AlixV - O2 page for service should say that if so - link here: https://status.o2.co.uk/

Message 14 of 41

AlixV
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the link. Checked for my postcode and it says good 4G coverage with no issues noted… who knows why I didn’t get it… I guess that’s the reason they test these things though! 😊

Message 15 of 41

pgn
  • 37634 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1709 Solutions

@AlixV wrote:

Thanks for the link. Checked for my postcode and it says good 4G coverage with no issues noted… who knows why I didn’t get it… I guess that’s the reason they test these things though! 😊

True - but no use if there is no way to let them know you did not receive the alert despite having alerts reception enabled in your phone and being in an area where no service disruptions were active. So it goes.

Message 16 of 41

AlixV
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Very true - not sure how the government will review the test and check whether the coverage was good. If there is a bad weather emergency, it could well be that there isn’t good 4G or 5G signal which could mean a lot of people in a local area not getting the alert… but, hey ho, I guess they are thinking of these things! 🤞

Message 17 of 41

MFreeman
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I didn't get an alert either, but there again my phone's a (still working otherwise) 6+ on IoS 12.5.7.

Like the Covid tracker app, this Government can't be bothered to design for those who keep their (expensive for the environment) 'phones until they stop working, rather than go for the "latest thing".

Message 18 of 41

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10939 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3125 Solutions

IOS 12.5 could be the issue, as it is no longer a supported OS from Apple.

I also think as a test it was not meant to hit 100% of devices, as usually when testing you build in a number of devices who get nothing, to test failures a bit like A and B testing. 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 19 of 41

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7401 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I see Three are asking people to get in touch if they did not get an alert.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 20 of 41