Did you mean: 

Community Recap: January 2022

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi everyone!

Wow, January is already wrapped up :-). And usually, it is a harder month for everyone - Christmas has come and gone, temperatures have dropped and we’re thinking about the year ahead.

But, hopefully, the O2 Community has offered a place for members to find comfort, conversation and companionship during the first month of 2022.

In this Community Recap, let’s see what we’ve been up to.

Amazing Content Created by You

The Games

Top 10 Places Trivia

I risked my reputation on the community by trying out a new game 🇦🇹! In this game, I provided five lists of the top 10 places. The task at hand was for community members to guess what they all had in common.

After some feedback, I had to provide some clues. It was like we were creating the game in real-time, making our tweaks here and there. Overall, it was positive and I think it could be a game that returns soon to the community.

Word Scramble - '80s British Bands

Everyone loves a good word scramble! And @RafaC always nails them. This was another music-themed one, which ended up getting 500+ views and 50+ replies. I think we do have to make them a little harder to compete with some of the members, though… 👀

White Room Quiz - 200th WRQ - Wed 12 Jan 2022

And, of course, we had to give a special mention to @Mi-Amigo’s WRQ hitting the milestone of 200 games 😃. With each question revolving around the number 200, this special edition was much enjoyed by all. Other WRQs of January also enjoyed different themes too, including Numbers and Odd Questions.

We appreciate the effort put into these and love playing them twice a week. Thank you, Mi-Amigo.

The Laughs

New Dragons Den

All I can say is thank you for sharing this clip, @Anonymous. In relation to the new Dragon Den series coming up, they shared this classic clip from Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse 😂.

Definitely, a bit of my humour this one…

Wonderful (true) Church Bulletins Funnies

@TallTrees shared with us some of the funniest true church bulletins to grace villages, towns and cities alike 😂. A personal favourite:

At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.

They were so funny, honestly. You can lighten up your day by revisiting them. They even cheered up @Pleiades who was isolating at the time 😊. Laughter really is the best medicine, I guess.

The Discussions

Have we crossed a line with smartphone addiction?

I love a good chart 📈! So, I was happy to see @Chris_K share one with the community. This chart shows how the daily smartphone usage by US adults has increased by 25% every year since 2010.

Chris gave some context on maybe why. He also asked the important questions too, such as: 

And another thing to think about... Say a massive solar flare hits Earth, wiping out most electronics, computer and communication networks - how do you think you'd react, and would you survive the apocalypse without access to your phone/internet?

Cheers, Chris 😃!

Volcanoes - Earth's Pressure-valves

Sometimes, a topic can be missed on the community. It may have been posted during a busy hour, when either there was a flood of other posts, or, other community members were themselves busy. That’s why I wanted to give this topic by @pgn a deserved mention 🌋.

Coming across it when looking through January topics, I was sorry to miss it. It’s so interesting to learn that you grew up by an active volcano yourself, pgn, and also terrible to read about the impact recent eruptions have had on places like Tonga. Thank you for sharing.

The Events

Burns Night 2022

We made sure Burns Night had the shoutout it deserved on the community! Even though most of us struggled with the Ol’ Scottish dialect, it was important for us to mark the occasion. 

A benefit of a community like this one is having so many different, diverse and fun members who not only feel okay sharing their interests, but also want to share them. Appreciate you all!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

The main event of January, of course. Happy New Year! We had several posts (here by @Luke30 and here by @anticpated). @Cleoriff rounded up the troops with this one, where everyone could wish each other a Happy New Year 🎆.

News, Updates and Announcements

What is New?

SMS over Wifi Calling

@Chris_K very kindly gave us an update on Wifi calling, with it now being rolled out for SMS on certain devices! The community was very happy to hear about this progress being made by O2.

Roam freely with Virgin Media O2

Chris also let us know that O2 and Virgin Mobile customers will maintain inclusive roaming in Europe, using data, calls and texts just as they would in the UK! This was great news, especially as other providers haven’t committed to the same offering.

So nice looking back on January, which I usually find a depressing month, but so many positive highlights here on the community to enjoy (and way more, which I didn't have time to include! Sorry).

Thank you for another great month 🤗.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@lewys-gp 

January was a pretty good month. Normally a bit dull and dreary after Christmas and the New Year but there was plenty to do and things to cheer us up.

Well done one and all.

PS I did love the parish notices by @TallTrees 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Totally agree, @Cleoriff

When I came across those parish notices again, I was tickled 😂.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 3 of 13

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @lewys-gp for the recap and mention of the 200th White Room Quiz which was an honour to host.

A personal favourite this month was @RafaC `s Word Scramble.

I too loved @TallTrees Parish Notices and hope we can see another, or similar one, some time soon 😂 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 13

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Thanks for the recap @lewys-gp and thank you all involved on our community for making January less bleak pray

Pleased you liked the Word Scramble @Mi-Amigo, more to come (and yes @lewys-gp, more difficult ones too!)!

Message 5 of 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Forgot to mention the Word Unscramble. One of my favourite games, along with Word Hunt Diamond @lewys-gp and @RafaC 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 13

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10659 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Yeh @Mi-Amigo 

One or two funnies for February 

Thanks for your quizzes whd too

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED