Did you mean: 

What a weird fault !!!!!!

Keeth
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Gurus,

Here's a fault for you to sip a coffee over please.

Both my wife and I are using O2. She has an Apple Iphone 12 and I have a Nokia G20 running android 11. Both up to date.

I can ring or answer a call to anyone without issue.

My wife can also ring or answer a call to anyone without issue.

However if I ring my wife, when she answers, she can't hear my voice and only hears white noise, but I can hear her voice perfectly.

By now, she knows it's me calling and so rings me back and both of us hear each other perfectly.

If I immediately call a different number in order to check, there is no problem with anyone else.

It is only applicable to a call to my wifes  phone.

So what about that then Gurus ?.................Any ideas please coz I'm stumped on this one.

Regards,

Keith

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Keeth
  • 19 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Today,

I popped her current o2 sim into her OLD iphone and so far we have had no faulty calls.

Will try again tomorrow.

Is it her Iphone 12 that's the issue after all I wonder.

Even if it is, how would we identify the actual fault and what could possibly be the reason for such a weird fault affecting just one number intermittently ?

Regards,

Keeth

Message 21 of 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27659 Solutions

@Keeth 

You can get Apple to run a diagnostic on the phone to see if it reveals anything.....

https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 31

Keeth
  • 19 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

She has booked in for an apple store appointment for a check up.

Let you know later,

Can't wait to see what is revealed .

Is the fault with an 800 pound I phone or a 150 pound Nokia ?

Answers on a post card please. haha

Hopefully we will find out later.

Regards,

Keeth

Message 23 of 31

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Keeth wrote:

Being a newbie I have already earned 3 badges and I must be close to getting weirdest fault of the year badge surely.........even though it's only the end of January....lol   I think you should invent that award for the future.   Haha.

Keeth

Great idea for a badge lol @Martin-O2 

@Keeth @MI5 I really like the idea! 😄 I'll add it to the potential badge list.  

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 24 of 31

Keeth
  • 19 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well well, what a day for the weirdest fault.

Took my wife's iphone to the apple genius store. They witnessed the fault...hoooray !!!

They did a comprehensive diagnostic check and could not find any hardware issues with the iphone although they could see the signal / network issue categorised as "OTHER" but basically the iphone was fine.

Recommendations were to do an iphone  sim swap at O2 which we did straight away and then returned to the geniuses an hour later. The fault remained GRRRRRRRR    They were baffled and had not come across a fault such as this with just one number. (fault of the year judges take note)

The next step was they did a reset / restore of her phone. While this was being done and then completed they popped my sim into one of their phones and it worked just fine when I rang her. mmmmmmmmm.

We swapped and changed sims between phones until we reached a stage where it seemed my phone was causing the issue with her number only.

So although they are still baffled as to why, I will now move emphasis onto my Nokia which is only a few months old and will contact Nokia technical for a solution.

PHHHHEEWWWWWW.

Fair play to Apple they had a good setup and were very professional at the Cardiff store.

I think we have made progress but it's not yet resolved

Lets see how Nokia conduct themselves with my phone.

I will keep in touch.

Keeth.

Message 25 of 31

MI5
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27659 Solutions

This is better than Coronation Street @Keeth 🤣

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 31

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6973 Solutions
Message 27 of 31

Keeth
  • 19 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Okee dokee,

Progress of some sorts. Did a guru chat with Nokia and went through the episodes of coronation street with them LOL .

Advised to remove the sim and put my phone into safe mode and remove a whole load of cache and storage from various apps relating to android system updates, call management, default carrier, sim tools, storage settings, phone services, backup logs etc.

Finally switch off phone and re-insert the sim card and allow a restart.

Try it now they said.......Guess what ?????? 

No failures,  yes you heard it right no failures.

However as updates become re-installed things may re-occur they said so get back to us if it happens again.

So there you go, it looks like a software issue on my Nokia G20 was the cause.

So if anyone gets a similar problem with they're phone, sort out your multiple cache, storage and old update files.

But there is still one burning question of course.....Why did it affect only one number in the entire contact list ?

And that my friends is the reason why I believe I have just had "fault of the year 2022"...because we still don't know the full answer !!

I will keep you posted as things progress or deteriorate.

Regards and thanks

Keeth.

Message 28 of 31

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12067 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Well done you for having the patience to sort it all out, and finding the issue!

Fingers crossed it was a duff update that has been replaced and won't recur...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 29 of 31

Keeth
  • 19 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thankyou gmarkj,

I thought it may be helpful to others to paste the script of the chat I had with Nokia support so you can view the steps taken to remedy my fault on a Nokia G20.. Please be mindful this was an issue on my phone and may not be representative of anyone else's problem, so be careful deleting anything you know nowt about. The choice is yours alone.

Note, I could not find all of the options in my App menu as stated so I applied the ones I could see.

Keeth

==========================================================

Try the next and check if the issue persist

• PHONE ISSUES

Remove the Sim card from the device > Go to settings > Apps and Notifications
    > See all ## apps > 3 dots on the top right corner > Show system> look for the next apps:

> Media Storage > force stop > storage > Clear Cache > Clear storage > OK> Go back
    > Carrier services > force stop > storage > Clear Cache > Clear storage > OK > Go back
    > Phone> Force stop > Storage > Clear cache Clear storage > OK> Go back app info > Select the 3 dots on the top right of the screen > uninstall updates.
    > Android system> Storage> Clear data and Clear cache
    > Call management> Storage> Clear data and Clear cache
    > Backup / restore call log> Storage> Clear data and Clear cache
    > Default Carrier application> Storage> Clear data and Clear cache
    > Settings storage> Storage> Clear data and Clear cache
    > Phone services> Storage> Clear data and Clear cache
    > SIM toolkit> Storage> Clear data and Clear cache
    > SIM application manager> Storage> Clear data and Clear cache

> Get into safe mode: Press the Power button > on the window that appears, Tap and hold "Restart" Option > You will see a window asking to reboot in safe mode > Select OK > The device will restart in safe mode. An inscription about this will appear at the bottom left of the screen

> Put the SIM card while the device is turned on.

> Soft Reset: Hold the Power Button and the Volume UP Button for 10 seconds until your phone switches OFF > Release the keys. Once the phone restarts Verify if it worked.
Message 30 of 31