Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed up for Virgin Media, now O2 are charging me money

Moroboshi
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I signed up for Virgin broadband in December last year as they laid cable in my street and frankly I'll be glad to see the back of BT copper. When I was speaking to Virgin on the phone I told them all I wanted was broadband, nothing else, but they insisted that by signing up to a deal with included an O2 SIM it would be cheaper and I could just chuck the SIM in a drawer and forget about it. 

So I agreed and sure enough an O2 SIM turned up which now lives in a drawer. But I was then charged £12 by O2 as a "tariff charge". I tried asking Virgin about this but they had no idea, and despite a good deal of searching it doesn't look as if O2 can be contacted in any way. No email address, it's just mind boggling. 

Virgin themselves aren't charging me yet as they haven't installed anything and won't for another month or so, so now I'm paying for a SIM I didn't want and will never use.  Is this normal with these Virgin "deals"?  Is it a bait and switch? It certainly leaves a very bad taste in the mouth and with no way to contact O2 my only option is to cancel the direct debit, which will then put me in a spot with Virgin if they ever both to install anything. 

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Moroboshi 

You do get charged by o2 for the sim, as Virgin discount your Virgin Media service by the same amount that o2 charge you. 

I would call Virgin up on 0345 454 1111 or login to the My Account at Virgin Media and check your contract, as o2 will only charge what VM tell them to

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The O2 sim sent and incorporated via Virgin would be a monthly contract sim

So you need to cancel that sim if it isn't required

Guide: Cancelling Your ContractI would be asking Virginmedia to refund all charges

Message 2 of 7

madasaf1sh
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Moroboshi 

You do get charged by o2 for the sim, as Virgin discount your Virgin Media service by the same amount that o2 charge you. 

I would call Virgin up on 0345 454 1111 or login to the My Account at Virgin Media and check your contract, as o2 will only charge what VM tell them to

Message 3 of 7

Moroboshi
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for that, now I just need to get a refund for them charging me this month. I should have stuck to my guns and insisted on broadband only when I signed up, as I really don't fancy the extra hassle of fighting O2. 

Is there any way to contact them? The website seems to be an endless loop of the contact us link going to a bunch of FAQ topics, none of which lead to a human. They really, really don't want to speak to the great unwashed it seems. 

Message 4 of 7

madasaf1sh
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Moroboshi

You wont get a refund from o2 as them charging you is correct, but VM should refund if they have overcharged on there end.

You can try on the VM Community @ https://community.virginmedia.com 

VM also offer WhatsApp and SMS full details on their Community

Message 5 of 7

Triedtoconme
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I rang o2 and cancelled it I haven’t had the virgin cable installed yet so let’s see what happens I was lied too as well told that 02 was free and that my monthly charge would be £29.99 but when I received the contract from virgin it was £17.99 a month then a few days later I received a letter telling me I would be charged £12 a month for 02 

Message 6 of 7

madasaf1sh
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Triedtoconme 

You need to complain to Virgin, if they have mis sold anything they can be contacted on 0345 454 1111, if you have cancelled it, you may find your Virgin Contract goes up in price by quite a bump, or gets cancelled and charges applied to you, as the contracts are linked as a bundle... 

So I would speak to Virgin ASAP

Message 7 of 7