Did you mean: 

Roaming not working in italy

MrFulmine99
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Roaming doesn't work for me in Italy.
I tried all possible solutions. in March it worked with the iliad network.
Now its not working, i tried reset apn, airplane mode, remove sim, change all networks.
it always connects to tim, trying many times I can connect to wind or not to iliad.
Only data works, calls and texts don't.
In a certain moment the calls work, I send a text message to myself that I don't even receive and neither the text messages nor the calls work anymore.
Then to make calls again I have to turn off, change the network a lot of times.
I need the texts and they don't work please fix.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Al7fox
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As a starting point o2 should stop sending these messages: 

IMG_9760.jpeg

I received this one just now after a week I am Italy and unable to make or receive phone calls….

Message 21 of 28

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125811 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7549 Solutions

@Al7fox 

You need 4G calling to make and receive calls in Italy.

The Italian networks have turned off 3G. 4g/Wifi calling is not available to PAYG customers

If you need to contact O2 from abroad, use this free number +44 7860 980 222

OR use Social Media  -on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter ( https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

Also if you have an iPhone, check your APN and change it to mobile.co.o2.uk.

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 28

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38295 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1730 Solutions

Targetted at PAYG, I note, @Al7fox  - which, in Italy, unless the phone negotiated down to any 2G signal that might be available, is stuck up a creek without a paddle for Voice and SMS because O2 do not offer 5G to PAYG customers! (or 4G Calling, for that matter!) That said, WhatsApp does work for voice, messages and video, to another WhatsApp user, on WiFi and on data if you have Data Roaming enabled in your phone settings: 

1000006546.png

'nuff said 🤐

Message 23 of 28

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7844 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

And how many countries where 3G is not completely shut down on every network but it has been on the roaming partners?

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 24 of 28

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 792 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

Thanks for waiting ‌‌😊

I've been checking this with our roaming contacts and we've not had any official confirmation that the Italian networks we have agreements with have shut down their 3G services. (The only country we've had confirmation of this shutdown is the USA)

The current networks that we have agreements with in Italy are as follows ➡️

Hi3G
TIM
Vodafone
WIND

@Al7fox If you're experiencing issues with calls/SMS on one network, I'd advise trying to manually connect to one of the above networks and testing again (If available at your location)

Just to add, as you'll be connecting to a network outside of the UK, we're unable to guarantee the strength of the connection/which services you'll be able to use.

You can find more help and advice on our Roaming MegaGuide

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 25 of 28

Al7fox
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Dave-O2  I am sorry but I am amazed that it took o2 one week to provide the answer above which is inaccurate, it doesn’t take into consideration none of the info provided by other members in this thread and therefore pretty useless.

Let’s Start with the roaming partners list you provided:

Hi3g -> Do you mean H3G? If so, it doesn’t exist anymore.  They merged with Wind about 3 years ago.

Tim —> they don’t have 3G anymore. I appreciate your contacts might not officially informed you about this but the reality is different. Tim turned off the 3G network in Italy (countrywide) in October 2022.

Vodafone —> I can’t connect to the Vodafone network no matter how many times I try. It just doesn’t connect at all

Wind —> WINDTRE in Italy. Not stable. If I select manually the network I can make a phone call only for the first 5 minutes. Then the network disappear and require another manual search.

Iliad —-> same as windtre. The behaviour is explained in more details in the first message of this thread

So we are back to square one. To summarise:

• The only reliable partner you have in Italy is TiM who has no 3G anymore.

https://www.tim.it/assistenza/info-consumatori/news/2021/dismissione-rete-3g

(Sorry, it’s only available in Italian but I am sure you guys can translate the first sentence of the article)

• WINDTRE and Illiad - keep loosing connection as soon as I move.  See first post in this thread for more info.

I appreciate that you guys checked with your roaming contacts but this require clearly further investigation (perhaps with different roaming contacts).

Keep telling people to select manually the network is not THE solution and in this case not even “a” solution at all as none of the networks available enable PAYG customers to “use their minutes as they do at home.” This will remain the case as long as o2 won’t allow 4g calling for PAYG customers.

Therefore, Would it be possible to escalate this further and check again?

Thanks in advance

Message 26 of 28

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125811 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7549 Solutions

Excellent post @Al7fox. Very easy to understand and it's great to have clarification.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 28

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 792 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

I'm sorry for the current experience you're having whilst in Italy @Al7fox 

Thanks for all the information you've provided above, this has been useful and has been handed over to our Roaming contacts.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 28 of 28