cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number down for almost two hours during port - normal?

fadedpages
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My number should be being ported over from Virgin today. I’ve had a new O2 SIM with a temporary number in an old phone since Saturday, with my Virgin SIM in my main phone. 
My Virgin SIM has been without service for almost two hours now, but the O2 SIM is still showing the temporary number. When I try to call or text family, it uses the temporary number. When they try to call my main number, they get O2 voicemail. 
Is this normal to have no service for so long? I was led to believe that it could be any time up to 6pm but that my number would only be out of service for a few minutes. I can be patient if it’s just a case of waiting it out but having seen so many reports online of number porting going wrong, I’m worried. 
Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7072 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

It can take longer than a few minutes.

The advice is to periodically reboot your phone to allow the SIM to update

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7072 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

It can take longer than a few minutes.

The advice is to periodically reboot your phone to allow the SIM to update

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 7

fadedpages
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply. slight_smile

It's now been over four hours since my number went down.  I've rebooted my phone more times than I can count, reset my network settings just in case, still no sign of any change, and when I log in to my online O2 account it still has the temporary number listed there.  I'd be lying if I said I believed this was going to go through ok by this point.

Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146687 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28243 Solutions

@fadedpages 

Some have taken 48 hours recently.

You'll need to call customer service.
Numbers here Guide: How to find help & contact O2 
When it comes to the reason you are calling stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say "Upgrade", "Lost/Stolen" or "Fraud" if you have to, to get put through to someone.
8.00am is the best time to call if you can.

You can call using Skype if you don't have another phone to call from Guide: A Guide to Skype 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 7

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Did the port go through @fadedpages?

Message 5 of 7

fadedpages
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It finally went through yesterday morning in the end, thanks for checking.  Sorry for the delayed response, I was out all day and my phone very determinedly kept returning me to the login page every time I put in my username.

Message 6 of 7

Breanna
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Good to hear. Thanks for the update @fadedpages.

Message 7 of 7