Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

‘New’ iPhone - data very slow

Zak99
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I’ve moved sim from a iPhone XS to 11 pro and the mobile data is now crazy slow. Showing I have 4g. 

what to do please ?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36428 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1620 Solutions

Check your APN is set correctly for an iPhone - due to the unique way O2 handles iPhone data, you need to have an iData bolt on applied to your account.

Without this bolt on, certain iPhone features won't work and you will not get data abroad unless you change the data apn from the default, which is "idata.o2.co.uk" to "mobile.o2.co.uk"- check it is set correctly for an iPhone in the UK.

Other checks: Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Good luck, @Zak99.

Message 2 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144963 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27810 Solutions

@Zak99 

Your XS was not a 5g phone so there's a good chance your sim will only be 4g capable.

Pop into your local O2 store, with photo ID and get a free 5g sim swap.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

Zak99
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

think I have no data at all.  Sim works fine in old phone

Message 4 of 10

Zak99
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I tried mobile in the APN as suggested by the way. 

Message 5 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144963 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27810 Solutions

Your apn would make no difference in the UK @Zak99 

Where did the phone come from and can you try another sim in it to see if it's a phone or sim issue?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 10

Zak99
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

IMG_0066.jpeg

Hi moved from an iPhone XS to 11 pro. Had some probs (no cellular, v slow data) so ordered new plastic sim.  Now I have cellular but no data service. What’s my best way forward. It’s further complicated as my area (village) lists mast problems.  

what can I check, reset etc please ?.  How soon should I expect a mast issue resolved, it’s been over 24 hours. Guess I’ll need to drive somewhere tomorrow to see if it works near another mast. 

thank you

Message 7 of 10

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36428 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1620 Solutions

Mast issues typically take time, sometimes weeks, sometimes months, to resolve, @Zak99 - and this is not O2 - Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Reach out to O2 via Social Media at the link below about it. Good luck!

Message 8 of 10

Zak99
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you.  I should add that I was getting the 4g logo on the phone before I put the new SIM in.

Im guessing I have a problem to do with the SIM swap. I’ve tried O2 chat but the bot is running me round in pointless circles. I’ve tried tweeting and also messaging on Twitter (X).  Not much help sadly. 

Message 9 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10276 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@Zak99 

You will need to call o2 in the Morning on 0344 809 0202 from another phone or 202 from the other o2 sim card.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 10 of 10