Did you mean: 

Never getting 5G

Worm3rd
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 18 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I’ve seen various posts on this and tried everything 

I have a pay as you go sim that I recently converted to monthly. As far as I remember, I’ve never gotten 5G to show up on my phone

i I have an iPhone 12. And under the cellular data I DO see 5G as an option. Just.  Doesn’t ever connect.  And I’ve sat next to people who use o2 and they are on 5g

is there a chance I just need a newer sim?

may e something wrong with phone?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147230 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions

@Worm3rd 

I'd take both as you never know which they'll be happy with.

Make sure you know your account security code word too which you can reset in your MyO2 if forgotten.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 11 of 19

Worm3rd
  • 18 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I see security question but not a code or code word.  Where is it at?

Message 12 of 19

MI5
  • 147230 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions

@Worm3rd 

It's the answer to the security question.

Favourite football team, pets first name etc.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 13 of 19

Worm3rd
  • 18 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I never got around to doing this but I will next time I’m in country. But I’m curious how they are able to program my number in a new sim in the store.  I just get the sense they are going to look at me crazy when I walk in and say “hey can I get a new sim that’ll give me 5g with my current phone number”

Message 14 of 19

MI5
  • 147230 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions

Nothing crazy or unusual about that request @Worm3rd 

Message 15 of 19

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37306 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

Ah, the mysterious trinity of things needed to get 5G on O2, assuming you are on a Contract phone (PAYG Customers with O2 are not so lucky!):  https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/My-O2/Why-can-t-I-connect-to-5g/m-p/1667531/highlight/true#M23090

Good luck, @Worm3rd.

Message 16 of 19

MI5
  • 147230 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions

Yes, @Worm3rd is on contract but after changing from PAYG, retained the same sim.

Hence the need for a new sim.

Message 17 of 19

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37306 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

Aha - e-sim I gather, as I thought PAYG and Contract SIMs were different beasts and not interchangeable. Got it. Still the trinity applies: 5G SIM, 5G Phone, live in a 5G area - and assume 5G is enabled on all 360 accounts, same as WiFi/4G Calling. 

Message 18 of 19

MI5
  • 147230 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions

Yes, 5g bolt on added to all 360 contract accounts.

PAYG sim will still work for calls and data on a contract account but sms will be screwed up.

Message 19 of 19