Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal Migration

GoFind
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My son's number is a second phone number on an account in my name, and has been for years (with Virgin Mobile). But he's old enough to have his own account so I've just tried to get this transferred into an account in his own name. The O2 guy said this is called an "internal migration" but that this facility isn't available with O2. This seems very poor, because there must be many grown-up children who want to keep their number but move to an account in their own name. It seems the only solution is for him to set up an account with one of O2's rivals and transfer the number across, and I find it extraordinary that O2 would want to lose customers in this way.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7828 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

If he wants an account in his own name then, yes, he will have to take out a new contract, after which the number can be migrated.

When it was originally taken out there would have been a credit check, and another is required for change of ownership

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23950 Posts
  • 1045 Topics
  • 3770 Solutions

@GoFind If your son wants an account in his own name he would have to take a new contact. This would require that he pass a credit check. If that succeeds, he could then keep the number he has. See this guide: 

Migration & porting into O2 - O2 Community

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 7

GoFind
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - he tried to open an account but that requires him to enter his phone number. When he did, it wouldn't allow it as it said it's already in use. That's because it's currently connected to my account. 

Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149084 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28465 Solutions

@GoFind wrote:

Thanks - he tried to open an account but that requires him to enter his phone number. When he did, it wouldn't allow it as it said it's already in use. That's because it's currently connected to my account. 

Use a different number as it's only for contact @GoFind 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 7

ohhh2humpf
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just experienced similiar, slightly diff scenario we wanted to move an o2 number into another existing O2 account. Guess what, they can't do it, and was told to go to a competitor, then cancel within 14 day period to come back. 

Guess what o2 - i went to the competitor... staying there though... 

Message 6 of 7

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7828 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

@ohhh2humpf There are a few ex Virgin numbers that cannot be migrated internally for technical reasons, so they have to go via the PAC route.

Anyway, hope you are happy with the new network

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 7