Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data runs slow

Worm3rd
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 18 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi. I’m an American that occasionally visits England. So I have a phone with a pay as you go top off plan. I was here in July and currently in country now and I’ve noticed both times my data is super slow. Sometimes acting like I’m not getting data at all. I’m usually with people that have o2 service (but not payg) and their data runs normally.  So it is something about me

I have an iphone10 that I keep up to date on updates.  When I play with the phone in the USA on my wife, it runs just fine which says to me that it is something about the service.  

what might be going on and how can I fix it?

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38466 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1732 Solutions

Hi @Worm3rd - check out some of the tips in here: Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Also check your phone APN is correctly set for O2 PAYG: https://www.tuffphones.co.uk/uk-gprs-and-3g-apn-settings and for iPhone:

iPhone APN Settings
If you have the iPhone 11 Pro Max or the latest iPad the last thing you want is to have no internet, therefore it is important for you to remember how to configure your internet settings so that you are always connected to the internet.

Select Settings > Mobile/Cellular Data
Select Mobile/Cellular Data Options
Select Mobile/Cellular Data Network
Fill in the following: Mobile or Cellular Data settings
APN: idata.o2.co.uk (PAYG: payandgo.o2.co.uk)
Username: vertigo (PAYG: payandgo)
Password: password
Visual Voicemail settings
APN: idata.o2.co.uk (PAYG: not used)
Username: vertigo (PAYG: not used)
Password: password (PAYG – not used)

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

pgn
  • 38466 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1732 Solutions

Hi @Worm3rd - check out some of the tips in here: Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Also check your phone APN is correctly set for O2 PAYG: https://www.tuffphones.co.uk/uk-gprs-and-3g-apn-settings and for iPhone:

iPhone APN Settings
If you have the iPhone 11 Pro Max or the latest iPad the last thing you want is to have no internet, therefore it is important for you to remember how to configure your internet settings so that you are always connected to the internet.

Select Settings > Mobile/Cellular Data
Select Mobile/Cellular Data Options
Select Mobile/Cellular Data Network
Fill in the following: Mobile or Cellular Data settings
APN: idata.o2.co.uk (PAYG: payandgo.o2.co.uk)
Username: vertigo (PAYG: payandgo)
Password: password
Visual Voicemail settings
APN: idata.o2.co.uk (PAYG: not used)
Username: vertigo (PAYG: not used)
Password: password (PAYG – not used)

Good luck!

Message 2 of 6

Worm3rd
  • 18 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Ugh. I had typed reply and website messed up so you get abridged version now

1. my pay as you go username was set to vertigo not payandgo so I fixed that

2. that seems to have improved things

3. I’m about to fly back to USA so can’t truly test. Will do at Christmas and let you know the.  For now. Calling this fixed

Message 3 of 6

Worm3rd
  • 18 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Wanted to give an update on this. Turns out O2 wasn’t the problem at all. I’m back in the uk and was able to test the phone and tried with another new sim and found it was still slow or non functioning. One new iPhone later, my original sim works perfectly fine and data is now running smoothly.  So it was just the phone

Message 4 of 6

pgn
  • 38466 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1732 Solutions

Well that's a plus, @Worm3rd - good to hear your speeds are back to par.

I wonder how many more ut there have that problem? Other phone manufacturers are wont to point fingers at the provisioning telco, sadly.

Thanks for the update 👍

Message 5 of 6

Worm3rd
  • 18 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

You’re welcome. I wanted to be fair and info the community that o2 wasn’t the issue. The cheap test (new sim) told me it wasn’t the sim. So the expensive test (new phone) told me everything I needed to know. Since my old phone works fine on Wi-Fi, it has become my girlfriend’s daughter’s new “tablet” and she loves it. So a win for everyone except my cost of a new phone, but hey I’ve got a nice (new to me) used iPhone 12. 

Message 6 of 6