Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Services not working when abroad

ademanuele
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My wife and I were in Italy in August and my data services (Internet) would not work. We both have the iPhone 12 Pro and changed O2 tariffs in June (been with O2 for as long as I can remember) and have used data services abroad several times a year in the past.

The only difference I can see is in my APN settings, my mobile data is set to my.internet whilst my wife's is idata.co.uk.

I have called O2 twice (and advised someone would call back but never heard back) and emailed them on three occasions but not had a reply (first contacted them 29th August). Anyone know what the issue might be and how i get resolved??

Thanks

Tony

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 13.05.19.jpegScreenshot 2023-08-30 at 22.52.52.jpeg

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11495 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3159 Solutions

@ademanuele 

Your APN is wrong, what happens if you change it to mobile.o2.co.uk 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 2 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149096 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28466 Solutions

@ademanuele 

You need to ask O2 to add iData to your account.

This was obviously missed from both yours and your wife's when you changed contracts.

Once you have the iData added you should both use the same idata.o2.co.uk apn.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 10

ademanuele
  • 14 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Data services are working OK in the UK and I guess the APN is wrong for roaming. I can't test until I travel abroad again in October but need a definite fix, don't understand why O2 are not responding, I sent them  a screenshot of the APN settings 🤷🏻‍♂️

Message 4 of 10

ademanuele
  • 14 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My wife's phone works fine, just me that had the issue. As mentioned above, data services are working in the UK, but not when I was in Europe. 

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 93935 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

You need to follow the advice by @MI5 otherwise you will have the same problem

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 149096 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28466 Solutions

@ademanuele 

Your wife must have idata added then, just yours not.

Data will work in the UK on the default settings but you won't get visual voicemail. When roaming you need idata added to use the idata apn or you need to change it to "mobile.o2.co.uk"

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 7 of 10

ademanuele
  • 14 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. So if I call O2 again I ask them to add idata?

Has anyone else had issues with O2 customer support, this sounds like a straightforward fix, I don't understand why have they not picked it up? No response since 29th August...

Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 93935 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

Yes but good luck getting someone who understands just what the bolt on is

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 149096 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28466 Solutions

@ademanuele 

As @jonsie says, getting someone at O2 who knows what they are doing is a challenge.

Ask to be put through to a UK call centre if you end up in Manilla or some other off shore place and persist until you get it added.

Once visual voicemail is working you'll know it's been added and functioning.

Message 10 of 10