Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing phone

AnitaL
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

HI, I have a sim only contract with O2, and am buying a new phone. AS my old phone is an old Samsung s3 mini, and my new one (Samsung) will be 5G enabled, will I need a new sim? Or can I simply just put my existing SIM into my new phone? Thank you

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37307 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

If the SIM physically fits the new phone, yes, you can do that. However: if your old SIM is a 4G SIM, you will only get up to 4G on the phone until you choose to do a Sim Swap (available in your MyO2 app as below) to a newer 5G SIM which you should be able to order from O2.  Do watch out though, as O2 have taken to disabling service on your existing SIM when they send out a new one, so perhaps a visit to an O2 Shop to get your SIM swapped would be a good idea - bring some photo ID along with you, @AnitaL. Good luck!

1000008606.png

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7170 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1592 Solutions

I would expect if you have had your SIM from S3 days you will need a 5G SIM if you are to receive 5G in areas where it is available.

You could use your old SIM then call in an O2 shop with photo ID and they will swap it.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 5

pgn
  • 37307 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

If the SIM physically fits the new phone, yes, you can do that. However: if your old SIM is a 4G SIM, you will only get up to 4G on the phone until you choose to do a Sim Swap (available in your MyO2 app as below) to a newer 5G SIM which you should be able to order from O2.  Do watch out though, as O2 have taken to disabling service on your existing SIM when they send out a new one, so perhaps a visit to an O2 Shop to get your SIM swapped would be a good idea - bring some photo ID along with you, @AnitaL. Good luck!

1000008606.png

Message 3 of 5

AnitaL
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, Thanks so much. 

Message 4 of 5

pgn
  • 37307 Posts