cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to leave but o2 have renewed contract without my consent?

alvinbkr
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi new to the forum so I hope its ok to jump straight in and ask a question.

I've been with o2 on the same contract since 2015, wishing to switch to plusnet for their cheaper rolling contract which I can opt out of with 30 days notice.

The problem is that when I paid my monthly bill to o2 on the 23/4/18 they renewed my contract for a further 12 months, I didn't sign anything nor speak to anyone just paid my bill by card over the automated system, which also didn't alert me to saying paying for that month would bind me for another 12 months.

Is this right do I have to pay for the next 11.5 months to escape my contract?

(have my own handset on a sim only deal with o2)

Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94347 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

Good news indeed @alvinbkr and it's such a shame that these con artists will still continue to dupe people into business contracts. It's time the governing bodies put an end to this and I feel a local MP should take this to the Commons.

Message 21 of 28

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @alvinbkr, glad to hear it got sorted! Let us know if it was all fine in the end with your final bill slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 22 of 28

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@EmilieT The key issue here and it has been raised many times is the trusted partner aerial direct . A search of the community will bring you many threads from disgruntled customers etc . @jonsie has intimated this as well 

I am glad that @alvinbkr has had his issue resolved etc but when will the trusted partner be taken to task over this reoccurring issue. 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 23 of 28

MI5
  • 149927 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions
One can only assume that o2 are comfortable with their actions and business ethics ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 24 of 28

alvinbkr
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Again thank you all for the support, its a shame they get away with it. They must have rang me as my contract was up for renewal using the careful wording that "they are calling on behalf of o2" and duped me into signing with them. Do o2 sell them this information ( name, number, contract date length type etc.) ? Are o2 in breach of data laws? Can we look into this ?
Message 25 of 28

MI5
  • 149927 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions
No breach as they are a “trusted partner” and as such, we give them rights to full access of all our details.
It had to be a phone call though as this couldn’t have happened any other way.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 26 of 28

jonsie
  • 94347 Posts
  • 611 Topics
  • 7033 Solutions

They aren't in breach of data laws. They share data bases with so-called trusted partners (who either share/sell the same data) and O2 are quite happy for these companies to contact you. It is the ethics of these partners that concern me. The business practices of Aerial have been well documented on here for as many years as I can remember and O2 will have had hundreds of complaints. One can only assume that as long as new customers are getting signed up or existing customers are being upgraded or switched to more lucrative business contracts, then O2 are more than happy reaping the profits and paying dividends to their shareholders.

You can find a list of these partners here :

https://www.o2.co.uk/business/contact-us/partners

Scroll down to find the wonderful Aerial

Edit : spelling

Message 27 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 126347 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

We have said many times, while the practices of Aerial may be 'legal' they are certainly immoral.

They don't care who they target, and as they only sell business contracts these are of no use to personal customers.

As @alvinbkr is 67, receiving a call from a company either purporting to be O2, or stating 'on behalf of O2', leads them to believe they are actually O2.

Unscrupulous con artists, who certainly aren't to be trusted in any way shape or form.

Moral of this sad tale? Never ever take out a contract from a cold caller. Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 28