Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IVA, o2 listed as one of my creditors

rhythmb
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, long story short. I have seven contracts with o2, some on refresh, others not. I have run into significant financial difficulty paying my bills and I have set up an IVA and listed o2 as one of my (many) creditors. 

Is it possible to get these contracts cancelled and disconnected immediately so I have a better understanding of my debt level, which I know will be pretty significant, as I've missed my last bill payment, due to be paid on the 24/04 and received default notices, or do I just let the debt be passed to the debt collection agency and let them know I am in an IVA?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @rhythmb you need to speak urgently to customer services.

You can't just cancel without payment I'm afraid https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus They may arrange some sort of payment plan for you.

You should also let them know you have placed yourself in an IVA (Individual Involuntary Arrangement)

We are just customers like yourself and would have no knowledge of the level of your debt or even how to proceed with it. Sorry you find yourself in financial difficulties but speaking to CS is the only advice we can give here.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 30

rhythmb
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok thanks. As my IVA has already been arranged its legally binding, so a payment plan has already been set up.

Message 3 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could cancel but you would still have to pay everything left on all the contracts
Message 4 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@rhythmb wrote:

Ok thanks. As my IVA has already been arranged its legally binding, so a payment plan has already been set up.

That's fine @rhythmb though as I said previously O2 are the only people who can advise you as to the way forward. I am sure they won't allow you to cancel without full payment. However, as customers like yourself, we have limited knowledge of debt management, so contact Customer Services asap. Ringing at this time 8.8.30am usually ensures you get through without a long wait.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 30

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
O2 will likely request the return of your handsets and sim cards.
You shouldn't have to pay everything off now you have declared bankruptcy.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd check this out with your IP or IVA supervisor. Technically the device elements are (going to be) secured debts and subject to the Consumer Credit Act, so may not be includeable, and the the tarrif element is (going to be) unsecured and includeable in your IVA . I say ''going to be' as you've only just defaulted so the debts are not that significant yet.

I'd talk directly with the collections department at o2 rather than CS or better still get your IP to talk to them and as @MI5 advises arrange to hand everything back, to draw a line - getting proof of recipt supplied by o2 and then negotiate the outstanding commitments and accrued debt to form part of the IVA. 

In general IVA's are legally binding on you and your creditors in the case of loans and credit card bills and so on but require both parties to agree, and as I say outstanding future debt is a bit of a grey area. So getting O2 to agree what the debt actually is  by drawing a line is the first step.

Message 7 of 30

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@rhythmb

acording to here mobile phone contracts are not included in ivas so i would fully check with whoever set your iva up https://ivainformation.com/the-effects-of-an-iva/how-will-an-iva-affect-my-credit-rating

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@rhythmb

acording to here mobile phone contracts are not included in ivas so i would fully check with whoever set your iva up https://ivainformation.com/the-effects-of-an-iva/how-will-an-iva-affect-my-credit-rating

I think that means you can continue to have a mobile contract whilst on an IVA as long as you keep up payments adam - The OP has seven contracts and would probably be best advised to come to an arrangement  to get them included and go payg with an old handset.

Message 9 of 30

rhythmb
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Probably should've been clearer, I don't have any of these phones anymore, as I have sold them to pay off debts, yeah, stupid i know.

my IVA provider said i could include mobile phone debt in my IVA.

Message 10 of 30