Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 Switch Up and credit check

iancarr
Level 1: Joiner
  • 17 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

can anyone clarify the process for Switch Up, my credit rating is not great and after 6 months on Sim Only I was able to upgrade to Handset with no need to credit check with plus plan and Switch Up included, spoke to one of my local stores about possibly switching up and they are adamant that the process requires a credit check and if they process a switch up and the credit check fails I will effectively have no handset as my current handset will have been processed and balance cleared before they can then put new handset thru.

this has been so confusing as many people insist there will not be a credit check carried out and others are saying there will be and if it fails I wont get the original handset back.

can someone please clarify just exactly how the Switch Up Process works as I do not want to try and end up without a handset 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

iancarr
  • 17 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thank you, spoke to 2 stores and one said full credit, the other said just an account check for arrears 

Message 11 of 19

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10558 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

@iancarr 

It is just a check for arrears, BUT o2 do reserve right to carry out a credit check, and the new CCA will appear on your credit report..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 12 of 19

SerSchnuupi
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Okay thank you all! O2 don't have the clearest information on their website as it is very hard to locate and just quick few sentences in a lot of places. And in store staff can have varying and conflicting information.

Message 13 of 19

Itsalive1978
  • 28 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For what it’s worth I have probably switched up about 10+ times I haven’t been alerted to any hard searches or seen any on my credit file, I check 3/4 of the providers. 

The new amount of credit for the device appears and not that long after the credit on the previous device shows settled on my file.

get used to the conflicting information O2 stores can be a bit hit or miss, find a good one and stick to them 

Message 14 of 19

Phonegeek22
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is that been after the new ffa rules regarding credit checks? Im worried about getting credit checked for switch up as i havw recently upgraded two of my number to plus plans. Does anyone know if its a hard search or soft yet? 

Message 15 of 19

madasaf1sh
  • 10558 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

@Phonegeek22 

I did one last week, and no credit checks so far. 

Message 16 of 19

Phonegeek22
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Was there any checks at all? ie soft check?

Message 17 of 19

madasaf1sh
  • 10558 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

@Phonegeek22 

I cant see anything on my credit file.

As long as you havent been in arrears, I have a feeling you will be fine.

Message 18 of 19

Phonegeek22
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks bud, doesnt make much sense credit checking every 90 days for an upgrade! Getting told different things from different shops and over the phone. An internal o2 check i can totally agree with tho and makes more sense, but it wasn't mentioned when taking the contracts out 

Message 19 of 19