cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone SMS £1 data 'penalty'

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was given an iPhone 3GS that had been on an O2 contract. My O2 text and web PAYG sim worked so I reset the phone with iTunes to erase the previpus owner's data/settings and off I went.

One problem: to initiate an SMS conversation, I had to turn cell data on. Apple Store confirmed this, as did my local O2 shop, after giving me a replacement sim.

When O2 charged data outside top-up allowance at 'up to £1 a day', the extra cost was pence, you sent the first SMS, and turned data off as you no longer needed it for future responses/replies to that thread.

Recently, O2 changed extra data charging for PAYG to '£1 per 50mb good for a day' which means initiating an SMS conversation requires turning data on to send the text and an immediate grab of £1 even though I am unlikely to use any more if the 50mb I have to pay for.

Do I: change tariff,
change to an Android phone that needs no data to start SMS chats,
change some unknown, hidden iPhone setting (US iPhone users on Verizon say you should be able to send a new SMS with cell data off),
change to a guff gaff sim (runs on O2 network) that charges just 20p for 100mb a day?

Any advice very much appreciated.
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, both. iMessage works on SGS with wifi. No one at Apple or O2 could explain why I needed cell data on to start SMS threads.

Just the last couple days I can't reply to incoming SMS so it looks like I have a unique phone, account or network problem so will see what O2 shop can sort for me tomorrow.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an iPhone and don't need mobile data or wifi on to send a text.

Not sure if iMessage works on 3gs, you need data to send iMessages not normal texts.

Also, did Apple and o2 store explained why you need data on to send an SMS?

Message 2 of 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
sms uses no data only mms

I can send normal sms without data on so I am confused.

But if sending a mms the data it uses is not charged (but other apps may hijack the data connection at the time)
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, both. iMessage works on SGS with wifi. No one at Apple or O2 could explain why I needed cell data on to start SMS threads.

Just the last couple days I can't reply to incoming SMS so it looks like I have a unique phone, account or network problem so will see what O2 shop can sort for me tomorrow.
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

That sure is weird..

Is there a mast near you? 

Check here: http://status.o2.co.uk/

Hopefully o2 shop will help you.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

2-4 bars usually but only 'o' or 'E' data at home (I use wifi there anyway) though 3G coverage is good elsewhere in town. Moved from Virgin (using T-Mobile network) because no signal downstairs. Where I live is a black hole for anything over the air - FM, DAB, Freeview - anyway.... slight_smile

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

As stated by other members sending an sms doesn't use data. Are your calls affected or is it just sms?

Just out of curiousity, what colour are the message bubbles?

BLUE = imessage

GREEN = SMS

Message 7 of 7