Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 11 - data not working after sim activation

Annehm
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I upgraded my phone to an iphone 11 pro and activated a new sim on Saturday but although the screen shows a 4g symbol and strength bars I cannot access the internet or get any apps to work. The mobile data seems to not work! I have spent hours on live chat with no solution and even went into a store where they confirmed the issue was with the sim not the phone so did a sim swap but the phone does exactly the same as with the 1st sim ie no mobile data. All can do is make calls and get a few text messages but bizarrely most texts go to my old phone which is no longer active! Everyone is unsure what is wrong including the technical people. Has anyone got a solution? Many thanks for reading this.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Annehm 

What phone did you have previously?

IPhones require a specific bolt on called iData. Check with customer service that this is active on your account.

If you had an iPhone previously, log out of your Apple ID on the old phone and ensure you are correctly logged in on the new one too. 

Check your number is correct in settings, phone, my number.

Finally, ensure data is turned on for all individual apps, settings, mobile data and scroll down.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Annehm
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi MI5

Thank you for your message. I had an iphone 7 previously. The mobile data APN is correctly set to idata.o2.co.uk. I logged out of my Apple ID on my old phone, checked that I am correctly logged into the new one, checked that my number is correct and checked that data is turned on for all apps and unfortunately it still will not work. Trying to load a page on Safari I ended up with an error message saying data is not allowed!?

I don't know what else to try

Cheers

AnneHM 

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just as a check, change your data APN to mobile.o2.co.uk
If that doesn't work you have a restriction on your account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Annehm
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Changing the APN didn't work. I got the o2 store to check yesterday to see if there were any restrictions on my account and they said it was fine, no restrictions or bars.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Annehm 

There must be an account issue though as you've checked everything else.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Annehm
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had to call customer services and they talked to the technical team. They have identified the issue and the problem has had to be escalated to the back office team. They apparently hope to resolve the issue by Friday but in the meantime I have not had a working phone since I upgraded on Saturday! They apparently cannot reactivate my old phone as I will continue to have data issues on that too so I am not very pleased ;-(.

Thank you for all your help MI5, much appreciated.

AnneHM

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Hope they sort you out quickly.....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8