cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage and normal SMS not working?

Anonymous
Not applicable

As the title states, my iMessage and SMS aren't working. It all kicked off today when I turned off my iMessage (for not even a minute) and since then it has been "waiting for activation..." with my mobile number - there's a tick next to my email address but I don't want to use it. My normal SMS isnt working either. I can send them, just not receive, which I find a bit bizarre.

Is this a problem with others just now or is it just my phone being a little pain?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

My SMS have all started coming through which I'm pleased about! iMessage wont recognise number now though, it's not even showing up on top and in grey like it was before. Either of you know how to get it back? Sorry for being a pain! Smiley Embarassed

Message 11 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Try turning off iMessage and facetime then restart the phone and turn them back on again, iMessage first.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good to hear your SMS are now coming through.

Our not being a pain.

If you perform a google search their are lots of tips available or perhaps see an apple Genius Bar.
Message 13 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
One tip

iMessage is greyed out
Some users have reported a problem with iMessage being grayed out. One tip is to reset Messages. Follow these steps:

Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap each email address to remove it.

Go back one screen and tap iMessage to turn it off.

Go back again and tap FaceTime. Deselect all FaceTime emails and tap FaceTime to turn it off

Wait five minutes.

Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on with no email address selected. It should just have your mobile number ticked. Use this from now on.
Message 14 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's all working now! Thanks, guys! Bouncy

Message 15 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Awesome.

How did you resolve the issue ?
Message 16 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just had to keep signing in/out of Apple ID and switching off both iMessage and FaceTime, and it eventually showed my number then. No hassle with the "Waiting for activation..." capers either.

Message 17 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good news. slight_smile

Thanks for the update.
Message 18 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Glad it's all sorted for you.....
slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous Good to hear your SMS are now coming through and everything is working. Thanks for the recommendations guys!
Message 20 of 20