cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong sim

Anonymous
Not applicable

Last week, I wanted to buy a SIM for my daughter's android tab to celebrate her retun to the UK. I ask the woman in the shop and she offers me a range of cards. I choose 25 quid's worth, pay and leave. Later, I note that it is for an iPad and return to the store with receipt hoping for an exchange. I'm told that exchanges and refunds are not possible.

Does this mean that O2 are so poor they need to grasp every single pound at all costs? Are they going bankrupt and need a donation?

Does O2 lack the technology to carry out exchanges? Do they need some money so they can invest in 21st century tech?

Can't O2 afford decent customer service any more?

How likely am I to use O2 ever again after this experience? More or less?

How likely am I going to bore people criticising O2 for this?

Are O2 shop windows insured for more money than I wasted?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
It's just a basic data sim so put it in the tablet and try it.
It will most likely work, but if not, just call customer services and ask them to change the data bolt on to standard data.
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 23

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

How long is a SIM valid for.

As u know M15   i bought a SIM thta i have nt been able to use in a tablet .  It is about 3 months old it has nt been activated as far as i know. There might be something else I can use it for so will it still be operational ?

I had similar issue with a trainee providing me with a sim card and payg money and not being able to use it. I feeel there is a staff training issue here, we are not all brought up and bred with SIMs in our hand there should be an understanding of this in staff training.

Message 3 of 23

MI5
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions

Your sim will have been activated at point of sale @Jenny105 and you need to be using it inside of 6 months from activation or else it will be suspended and subsequently removed from the network after a further period of time.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not solved at all. Next time I am in the UK, I will get my revenge. They owe me 25 pounds plus inconvenience. O2 will find out the hard way. They will get loads of free publicity; just not the kind they like. I won't get the money or compensation so I will have my fun.
Message 5 of 23

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Hey David don't get your self in trouble over this. It could end up costing you far more than £25.....

Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, if I'm not prepared to take risks, how to I get my pound of flesh. It's almost as if O2 want their customers to be angry and vengeful. It's O2 who are going to be in trouble.
Message 7 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 123084 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@AnonymousGo through the official complaint route and use Resolver in the link.

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Resolver here Resolver

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 23

MI5
  • 144643 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27730 Solutions
Why did you not do as advised before and just change the tariff on the sim?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the interest.  I went back to the shop where I purchased the SIM (where I once purchased two mobiles and a tablet and various accessories) with the receipt and was told there was nothing that could be done. I wasn't told to go online, about Resolver or to change tariff or anything else.  That's not customer care; it is customer contempt. 

I am now out of the country, as is the person I bought the SIM for - it's no longer useful to me. Alternatives had to be bought and paid for.  Even a new Android SIM is no use to me now.  There is nothing O2 can do now - once, twice, thrice bitten equals very angry and vindictive ex-customer - I'll have my pound(s) of flesh instead.

02 are only interested in satisfying Telefonica shareholders, not their victims/customers.  They need to learn the hard way.

Why don't other customers cease making excuses for 02 and join in the fun?

Message 10 of 23