cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi and 4G Calling on Samsung Galaxy S10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy S10. It was an unlocked purchase, not from O2. I cannot get Wifi and 4G Calling setup. This is aggravating as it is the specific reason I switched having complained to my previous supplier. My 3g signal in my home is truly diabolical despite what O2 say on the coverage checker. I have checked the O2 list which does give the S10 as a compatible device. When I couldn't get it to work, I dug further and found the need to check CSC by dialling *#1234#. My CSC does not contain the TEF, O2U or OTF as required. It is G973FOXMBFUE6

Is there any fix to this? I used to flash firmware on my old Nokias so would be able to install the firmware required. 

I really do need Wifi Calling. Can anyone help? Or would like to swap slight_smile

Many thanks, Mike

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous 

The S10 does not need O2 firmware for wifi calling, it does however, need to be enabled by O2 first, before you enable it in your MyO2.

wifi on.PNG

If you still wish to flash O2 firmware you can download it and get instructions here www.sammobile.com

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I did all of that and followed the instructions very carefully. But still no Wifi calling. So I dug furher and found on this page Wifi and 4G Calling | Help & Support | O2 that:

"If you are using a J3 (2017) to get Wifi and 4G Calling, your device will need to use O2 firmware. This is essentially the software that makes your device turn on and run. Sometimes there are different versions of firmware for the same device.

Your device should use O2 firmware if you bought it direct from us in an O2 shop, online or over the phone.

To check if your phone’s running O2 firmware, dial *#1234# and look at the CSC entry. If this line includes ‘TEF’, ‘O2U’ or ‘OTF’ then your device has O2 firmware and you can set up Wifi and 4G Calling. 
If the CSC doesn't include one of these codes then Wifi and 4G Calling isn’t supported on your phone right now."

As posted, the CSC does not include the codes, it would seem I have no option other than to flash. I'll check out the link. Thanks.

Message 3 of 33

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
But you have an S10 ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 33

cwmparc
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous You don't need to flash the firmware, I was using an old S10 from EE. You do need to phone o2 though to have them "switch on"the feature from their end.

After that you should be good to go. Hope that helps. 

Message 5 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely, yes. Model SM-G973F/DS running Android 11. All fully updated.

Message 6 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

As posted, I have gone to the web page in my account and activated Wifi and 4G calling. Checked twice after reboots and leaving each on 24h. Still nothing. I phoned 202 and was told categorically this IS activated on my account. I was led through the settings (which were exactly as I have said), confirmed them to O2 and they don't understand what's going on. All they can offer is they've taken it off and put it back. Could take a couple of hours or 24 hours. Let's see but I'm not hopeful.

Message 7 of 33

Kode
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hi
I had the exact same problem with my Samsung Note 10 5G phone. I tried manual search for the networks and select Vodafone and it fails to connect, then select auto network search. Reboot the phone and check Wi-Fi and 4G calling works. The other option is to get a different Sim card pay-as-you-go which supports Wi-Fi & 4G calling. I tried a Three mobile which cost 99p and worked fine. Remove the Sim card, put in your O2 Sim card back in and Wi-Fi and 4G calling works fine for me now.
Message 8 of 33

Andy7856
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous 

I have exactly same problem, run S10+ on OXM firmware.  According to website it supports VOLTE/WIFI calling - yet based on chat to their agents this is complete rubbish who have confirmed I need O2 Firmware (as have numerous people on the samsung community).  VOLTE works for 24hrs then turns off.  Have had the bolt on added, removed, numerous times, new SIM, factory reset, reboot on flight mode.  In end I  have given up.   To me O2 need taking to the ASA, they are encouraging people into 12 month contracts using sim free phones knowing full well their network cant support it. 

That said end of the day I pay less than £4 for my contract so should I really expect a service better than say Plusnet?  (who also dont offer VOLTE/WIFI calling).  As suggested above you can either flash your phone, or get O2 PAYG S20 and SIM swap  - you are wasting your time to be honest dealing with O2 futhur on this matter - as I have found out - they are just not interested in offer this service to "normal" customers - only direct customers taking out new contracts with glossy new phone.

Message 9 of 33

IslandBoy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 24 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your inputs - even the inaccurate ones. I came back to O2 after contracts with Three (coverage dire), Vodafone (coverage not good), Virgin and Tesco (claims to use O2 network but does not offer W-Fi Calling or VoLTE). The coverage charts of both the NO / MVNO and Ofcom do not reflect reality.

This is why using anyone other than O2 is not a solution and I absolutely MUST have Wi-Fi and 4G Calling. Bitter experience. One of the downsides of living on a rural part of an island.

I checked the website before placing the order. It says "Samsung. First you'll need to add Wifi and 4G Calling to your account. For personal tariff customers: Sign in to My O2, go to Device Details and tap Wifi and 4G Calling where you can then add the service to your account.
Once your new services are added to your account, follow the instructions below to enable Wifi and 4G Calling. You can turn on Wifi and 4G Calling in your device settings -"

Didn't work. Rebooted twice. Waited 24h each time to be sure. No settings came up on the phone.

I dug a little further and posted the results above "If you are using a J3 (2017) to get Wifi and 4G Calling, your device will need to use O2 firmware." What is a J3 (2017)? Unhelpful. Then it advises the CSC check above which I carried out and found O2 does NOT support Galaxy S10 normal software.

I called 202 on Thurs 8 Jul. I was told categorically that Wi-Fi Callind WAS definitively active on my account. She did not understand why it wasn't working. All she could offer was removing it, then putting it back. Could take up to 24h. Waited to Fri. Still no setting on the phone appeared.

I called 202 again on Fri. Was told again and again that it WAS active. I ended up reading her the O2 website. She was unaware. She spoke several times to her supervisor. They were unaware. She promised to setup a call from an O2 Guru based in Fareham for today, Tues 13 Jul 21 at 10-11am. No call received.

I called 202 for the 3rd time (actually the 5th or 6th including the dropped lines and false answers) and have now been promised an escalation and a call back from technical "within 24 hours". I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not being unreasonable - I just want O2 to either deliver what their website says OR call back when they say OR brief their staff correctly that Samsung Galaxy S10 requires O2 software. Then I can inform Ofcom accordingly. Incompetent and anti-competitive behaviour like this needs calling out and reporting.

Will update on what happens.

Message 10 of 33