cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I stand on my faulty phone? Please help.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there, I am desperately seeking advice as to where I stand on a contract deal.
I took out a 2 year contract with o2 via Carphone Warehouse which included a Sony Xperia SP.
From day one I had intermittent signal issues and terrible wifi, so I returned it to the store where their in house engineer attempted to fix it. Two days later it returned worse than ever. The wifi is unusuable, my texts are received hours late (both outgoing and incoming), calls drop, and most of my incoming calls go straight to answer phone and in not even notified.
I returned it again and it was sent back, now 2 weeks later it is returned and they said they couldn't fix it. The store denies a fault, as it worked for the 5 minutes they tested it.
I understand its hard to test as its an intermittent fault, and on occasion it will function correctly.
However I am now stuck in a contract for a further 23 months with a phone that does not work.
I would like to know where I stand on this, am I entitled to a replacement phone? If not am I entitled to having my contact cancelled? Surely I cant be expected to pay for a contract when agreements are not being met. Upon signing the contract I agreed for a working phone.
Please respond ASAP, I am desperate. Thanks.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would helping wifi connection strength also cure the op's call dropouts etc on the O2 network ?
Message 11 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
Yes, as I mentioned the WiFi was poor on 4.1.2 (which is part of the phones modem so controls network signal too).
It's real easy to reflash the firmware at home with a PC or laptop and far quicker than messing with CPW.
I don't think they would ever fix it tbh but as Sony haven't released 4.3 for the UK yet that's the only hope.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's good then.

Although I get the feeling the op has lost confidence in this unit 😞 which is understandable.
Message 13 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to be clear. Your contract is with CPW and it IS THEIR responsibility to assist. Even more so as you have only had the handset for 6 weeks. Your phone has at least 12 months (some manufacturers like Samsung give 24) warranty. CPW must take all reasonable steps and if no joy then replace. As a general rule 3 x repairs for same fault should equal replacement.
Message 14 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I cant check it right now as were away for the night but I will check as soon as I can, although I think that's what the engineer did originally.

Thankyou very much for your help, Ill return here once Ive been in store - hopefully with good news.

Message 15 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome and good luck.

Although O2 didn't supply the phone and cpw did we are here to help and support you all the same.

Good luck.
Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice touch BoB. 😀

Makes this a great Community
Message 17 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
There is a knack to flashing these phones to get the best out of them...
I hope you get an engineer who knows what they're doing with them wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 18 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Totally agree @Anonymous

Message 19 of 19