cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing masts

Anonymous
Not applicable

I trust o2 are not going to reduce the number of existing Masts due to 4G like other companies are apparently now doing, therfore reducing Signal strength for 3G customers like me ?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Overall the number of masts operating nationally are expected to fall.

EE are merging Orange and T Mobile masts and where there is duplication that is being removed.

Three are planning to piggy bank on some EE masts to increase capacity and again where there is duplication this will be removed.

O2 & Vodafone have what was called the Cornerstone Project which is now called the Beacon Project where they plan to share base stations so as already mentioned above where an operator is weak in one area and the other one stronger then that will improve. Where there is duplication that will be removed.

The reduction is actual masts will be more than offset by the number of cells on each one for each of the networks thus giving an improved signal by 2015 for the majority of areas and 2017 for 98% of the uk population.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147059 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28285 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I trust o2 are not going to reduce the number of existing Masts due to 4G like other companies are apparently now doing, therfore reducing Signal strength for 3G customers like me ?

No, not at all.

O2 will have the best network coverage for 3G once all the network upgrades are completed slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 5

iar1980
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

No quite the opposite. Where vodafone have a phone mast where o2 don't, o2 will now also use that phone mast and vice versa. where 2 phone masts exist side by side, o2 & vodafone. One phone mast will be removed and they will both share the remaining one. Cost cutting, reduction in physical phone mast, but most importantly make 3g & 4g coverage available to approx 98% of population i think by 2017 even though they are trying to do this for 2015. Don't forget 3g will be available on 900mhz and 4g on 800mhz which means better indoor/outdoor coverage in the long term.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18355569

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2012/06/07/o2-and-vodafone-announce-network-sharing-plans/

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 3 of 5

iar1980
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

The below two articles will give a further insight into the agreement

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2012/07/15/industry-reacts-to-vodafone-and-o2-network-share-deal/

http://www.mobileeurope.co.uk/News-Analysis/vodafone-and-telefonica-uk-network-sharing-details

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Overall the number of masts operating nationally are expected to fall.

EE are merging Orange and T Mobile masts and where there is duplication that is being removed.

Three are planning to piggy bank on some EE masts to increase capacity and again where there is duplication this will be removed.

O2 & Vodafone have what was called the Cornerstone Project which is now called the Beacon Project where they plan to share base stations so as already mentioned above where an operator is weak in one area and the other one stronger then that will improve. Where there is duplication that will be removed.

The reduction is actual masts will be more than offset by the number of cells on each one for each of the networks thus giving an improved signal by 2015 for the majority of areas and 2017 for 98% of the uk population.
Message 5 of 5