cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I stand on my faulty phone? Please help.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there, I am desperately seeking advice as to where I stand on a contract deal.
I took out a 2 year contract with o2 via Carphone Warehouse which included a Sony Xperia SP.
From day one I had intermittent signal issues and terrible wifi, so I returned it to the store where their in house engineer attempted to fix it. Two days later it returned worse than ever. The wifi is unusuable, my texts are received hours late (both outgoing and incoming), calls drop, and most of my incoming calls go straight to answer phone and in not even notified.
I returned it again and it was sent back, now 2 weeks later it is returned and they said they couldn't fix it. The store denies a fault, as it worked for the 5 minutes they tested it.
I understand its hard to test as its an intermittent fault, and on occasion it will function correctly.
However I am now stuck in a contract for a further 23 months with a phone that does not work.
I would like to know where I stand on this, am I entitled to a replacement phone? If not am I entitled to having my contact cancelled? Surely I cant be expected to pay for a contract when agreements are not being met. Upon signing the contract I agreed for a working phone.
Please respond ASAP, I am desperate. Thanks.
Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to be clear. Your contract is with CPW and it IS THEIR responsibility to assist. Even more so as you have only had the handset for 6 weeks. Your phone has at least 12 months (some manufacturers like Samsung give 24) warranty. CPW must take all reasonable steps and if no joy then replace. As a general rule 3 x repairs for same fault should equal replacement.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
This thread by Adam should help you understand a few related things http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Guide-Differance-between-SOGA-and-warranty-exten...
Basically, use the info provided in the link and keep pushing for a satisfactory outcome.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I would try the manufacturer uk support for Sony.

Have you tried an alternative phone to see if your services are better. Process of elimination.

Things like having your sim swapped.

What does your service status say ? http://status.o2.co.uk/

Is the service intermittent everywhere ?

I'm trying to ascertain wether it's the phone or network coverage. We always suggest checking how a network performs by using a Payg sim for a while.
Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
To add if you feel it's warranted out this in writing to CPW if you feel they have failed with a repair.

http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c%7B7cb87850-d849-11de-e56d-0000000...
Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for responses so far.
To answer a few questions, the sim works fine in other phones but I haven't got any other Sims to try in this one.
The service status is fine, it hasn't worked for the whole 5-6 weeks Ive had it, and that's everywhere.
It hasn't worked properly anywhere in Hampshire, I went to London for a weekend and same problem.
The Wifi on it only works if im within 10 steps of my router, and it couldn't even find my mums.
Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do other people in your area get good coverage and have no issues using the network ?

If your sim works ok in other phones than as a process of elimination the handset is failing somewhere. If so push CPW.
Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
The wifi was pretty weak on the SP with 4.1.2 but was improved dramatically with the 4.3 release.
What version are you on? I am guessing as its a CPW phone you are still on 4.1.2?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its definately the phone, my friend had a similar issue. An engineer flashed her firmware and fixed it. My firmware was reinstalled when it went away the first time. Before this, the wifi worked slightly better but still not properly.
I am going back into the store tomorrow or Tuesday, I just wanted some advice before hand.
Last time I went in there an assistant told me if the phones faulty its down to Sony to fix it and offered me no advice on what to do next. She just gave me a blank expression when I explained I was paying for essentially nothing.
From what you guys are saying it seems to be CPW responsibility?
Sorry if Im ranting, I just find it confusing and frustrating.
Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Some help links.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Guide-Differance-between-SOGA-and-warranty-exten...

Your entitled to a working handset.

Sales of goods act is something you could read up on.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

Be firm and calm and ask to speak to the manager.

Message 9 of 19

MI5
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi

Some help links.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Guide-Differance-between-SOGA-and-warranty-extended-warranty/m-p/599174

Already posted that link bob....

BlakenLily, could you check your firmware please as I asked above?

If 4.1.2 you can try SUS to repair your phone yourself - It's easy to do.....

Message 10 of 19