Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Giff Gaff all about?

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
I am currently on O2 PAYG. I pay £15 per month on the Pay and Go Go Go tariff for unlimited texts, 150 minutes of calls and 1GB of data.
A few of my friends are on Giff Gaff and they say that they pay less. When I explain that I don't want to move from O2, they say that Giff Gaff do O2.
Can someone please explain to me what Giff Gaff is? Do they do PAYG? How can they offer cheaper tariffs and better deals on O2 than O2 themselves.
All advice would be much appreciated.
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

It looks as though a goodybag is required for 4G unlike 3 which enabled 4G on their 3-2-1 tariff slight_frown

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 22 of 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144828 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@aldaweb wrote:

It looks as though a goodybag is required for 4G unlike 3 which enabled 4G on their 3-2-1 tariff slight_frown

You can get 4G without a goodybag by paying giffgaff's extortionate standard data rates.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 27

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I have been weighing up the pros and cons of Giff Gaff compared to O2. 

The main points are as follows:

Pros of Giff Gaff

Cheaper tariffs - more data and more calls for the same or less cost than O2.

Possibly a better reception/faster speeds than O2 (unknown yet as I haven't got a sim yet to test it).

I can keep my number.

Cons of Giff Gaff

Online only.

4G isn't available yet.

Possibly a worse reception/slower speeds than O2 (unknown yet as I haven't got a sim yet to test it).

After careful consideration i've decided to stay on O2 for the time being, but I will consider it again in the future.

Message 24 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course it's your prerogative to choose who you wanted use Genma but without testing how they perform via a SIM card it's hard to define which one would be better.

Message 25 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
I suspect that GiffGaff along with TescoMobile will be no different in terms of signal to o2 directly. I don't see how they can be unless it is to do with the amount of bandwidth they purchase. But then why would they want a poorer service which would just about customers when both are growing their businesses?
Message 26 of 27

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Obviously I will test the Giff Gaff sim when it arrives, but if it the same or no different signal and speed than O2 then I will just stay with O2 for now. 

When I first considered this I was unaware that 4G wasn't available on GIff Gaff yet.

Message 27 of 27