cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI Calling?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone have any info as to when other devices apart from iPhone 7/7 Plus will be activated for wifi calling? Cheers.
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
it could also be difficult to find out through customer services as they had no idea what wifi and 4g calling was when I called
Message 11 of 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144600 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27728 Solutions
I've never seen anything other than the 7 or 7+ mentioned..
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 31

evantkh
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
@PhoneChanger

What do you mean?

I think the problem is due to the transition from circuit switched network to the IMS one.
Message 13 of 31

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
VoLTE and VoWiFi is routed through IMS. VoLTE establishes additional connection to IMS network while VoWiFi establishes a VPN connection to the IMS network but TU Go is an app making calls on open internet.
Message 14 of 31

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@evantkh at the moment O2 have bundled WiFi calling and 4G calling into a single activated service (don't ask me why as I don't know)

However if they allow multiple handsets to suddenly have access to the 4G calling service then more handsets will be using the 4G network for calls than are currently, which could result in coverage / network performance issues so it makes sense for them to protect the network and add handsets in gradually so they can monitor the performance and potential pinch points.

Given that a number of handsets already support native wifi calling I doubt it would still be due to the infrastructure supporting it, especially since how it works on Apple devices is the same on Samsung devices.
Message 15 of 31

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
@PhoneChanger

but in this case they can just silently activate VoLTE on some accounts without notice, rather than having it on specific models.
Message 16 of 31

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@evantkh yes, they could... but it is up to O2 how they handle their rollouts, and we, as customers can only guess why they do what they do, there will be logic in there somewhere...
Message 17 of 31

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
@PhoneChanger

I had an interesting experience in another country when VoLTE on the device suddenly got available and unable to be turned on, and then I rang the provider and said the account is abnormal and was reset making it work but losing all other configurations, but I found nothing about it on the website.
Message 18 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I vote for O2 to enable this on the iPhone 6...?

Message 19 of 31

evantkh
  • 366 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Can I vote for O2 to enable this on the iPhone 6...?

@Anonymous

Does Apple push the carrier file to iPhone 6? Anyone can turn on VoLTE on their MyO2 account now.

Message 20 of 31