cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a new sim a month after I bought it?

LukeMurtagh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi all,

I’m currently with another network provider but my contract is nearing its end and I noticed a good offer from O2. There’s a plan for unlimited texts and minutes with 25Gb of data for £15 a month. The offer ends on 2nd December but my contract doesn’t finish until mid January. I also won’t be getting my new phone until January. Is it possible I could buy the new sim/contract now and simply not use the sim until mid January?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10268 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions
@LukeMurtagh

You can buy it and not use it, but you will pay for it from Day 1 there is no way to delay this.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123312 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@LukeMurtagh 

The only way you could do that is by paying off your existing contract with your other provider and ask for your PAC and transfer to O2.

Or this way...

Once you use your Pac it will end your old contract immediately and you will then be billed for any outstanding amount.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number

Edited for link

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

LukeMurtagh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Okay, thanks for the reply.

Since I’m not bothered about keeping the same phone number could I just buy the sim and not use it until mid January?
Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144900 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@LukeMurtagh wrote:
Okay, thanks for the reply.

Since I’m not bothered about keeping the same phone number could I just buy the sim and not use it until mid January?

Yes, that's perfectly OK @LukeMurtagh 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 123312 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

You could choose a sim only contract @LukeMurtagh but you would still need to pay for it as soon as the order is placed.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6