cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a family members upgrade with your own O2 contract SIM card.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

My own upgrade with O2 isn't due until June next year. However my wife's upgrade is a few months earlier in March. She isn't bothered about upgrading first and has said I can use her upgrade to go from my 4s to a 5s.

When we go into the store to upgrade will I be able to use my own SIM card in the 5s we get on my wife's upgrade? We're both with O2, so I would assume that the iPhone 5s would just be locked to O2 and not to a specific SIM card and number?

Likewise, obviously my wife will be looking to use my upgrade when it comes round in June, since I'd have used hers in the March.

So even though my SIM would technically still be under contract until June with an iPhone 4s, would I be able to use my SIM and tarrif in the 5s I get with my wife's upgrade in March?

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You just need to switch your sim to a nano sim and your wife's new sim to a micro sim.
You are not swapping accounts so no issue with sim swaps.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

There is nothing stopping you using your wife's device. However you would need to obtain a nano sim to replace your microsim and your wife would probably need an adapter to convert her nano sim to a size that whichever phone she will be using will take (unless that is a nano sim too)

O2 should be able to provide you with both of these in store or if you call them on 202

EDIT - just as a slight addition, if you were to take an O2 refresh tariff it could possibly cause issues as the terms prevent the account holder from "disposing of the device". Whether they would treat swapping phones with your partner as disposing of the device I couldn't say nor could I say how strictly O2 are enforcing this condition on O2 refresh

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply.

We are both currently on O2 Unlimited paying £37pm for unlimited calls/texts/1GB.

My wife has an iPhone 4, I have the 4s so we both have Micro SIM's at present.

I know that the 5s uses a Nano SIM and my wife would get one of these with the 5s come March. I take it we would need to call O2 with the number on the SIM to transfer the number over, or would they scan the Nano SIM in store and "upload" my wife's number to it? If so, that would scupper any chance as I doubt customer services would transfer a number on an existing contracted SIM to a Nano SIM?

Would O2 give me a blank Nano SIM and transfer my number from an under contract Micro SIM?

I'm very confused lol!
Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You just need to switch your sim to a nano sim and your wife's new sim to a micro sim.
You are not swapping accounts so no issue with sim swaps.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

You can go in store and do the sim swap there or you can request two blank sims and do the swap online when you receive them. http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 5