cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using O2 Travel Just don't Work for data when bought Please Help if you know Why

Anonymous
Not applicable

Being retired I tried to use O2 Travel in Sept in Spain for data on my iPhone 5S but it just keep telling me my phone couldn't connect to the internet and told me to go to setting to switch on my mobile data which is already switched on? Once I got back to the wifi at the hotel all apps and email work properly again? O2 when asked said it must be an incorrect setting on my iPhone 5S but I can't find anything wrong although I am no expert being 69.

Well this time when the same thing has happened being outside Europe it will cost me money if the O2 Travel bolt on has been activated when I used text or made a couple of calls but again it was not possible to get emails or use any apps by using mobile data, but all fine once connected to wifi. This like others I have read on here is driving me mad as it is not possible to email my problem to O2 so I can make sure it is explained fully what is wrong, and also is this a phone hardware or software problem or is the network arrangements between O2 and the other network they use the problem? It seems to me the instructions about using this O2 Travel is very unclear, which network should I be connecting to? For all I know am I connecting to the right one? This time on a cruise I visited two countries and 13 different places and didn't get any mobile data from any of them so had to purchase the ship wifi to use instead so again know all works fine using wifi, but nothing with data roaming switched on. 

If you know what could be wrong and if I need to dump either O2 as I only have a sim deal or if it is a newer or another iPhone that is needed to allow mobile data use through O2 travel I would be so grateful for any help thanks. It was so annouying to see others on the excursions using their phones with data from their networks and I again couldn't? My wife has the 5SE on a monthly contract and her mobile data didn't work either using data roaming so could it be both numbers are blocked by O2 as my understanding is if you switch on data roaming abroad it will work until switched off by your network if it goes over £40 I believe which does not happen on either of our mobiles?

I have tried to explain this problem in as much detail as I can in the hope someone can tell us why mobile data is not possible to use abroad thanks in advanceragesantaCrazy 

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

In the EU you don't need O2 Travel as it's Roam like Home features so you should automatically connect when away from wifi as long as you have mobile data and data roaming switched on. 

It definitely sounds like a settings problem or you are on the wrong data bolt on. 

1.Text ACTIVE to 2020, save the settings sent back and reboot the phone. If that doesn't work the.... 

2. Change the apn to mobile.o2.co.uk or if it's already set to that then change to idata.o2.co.uk If that makes no difference then... 

3. Call customer service and ask them to check roaming is activated and to specifically check the data bolt on. 

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

In the EU you don't need O2 Travel as it's Roam like Home features so you should automatically connect when away from wifi as long as you have mobile data and data roaming switched on. 

It definitely sounds like a settings problem or you are on the wrong data bolt on. 

1.Text ACTIVE to 2020, save the settings sent back and reboot the phone. If that doesn't work the.... 

2. Change the apn to mobile.o2.co.uk or if it's already set to that then change to idata.o2.co.uk If that makes no difference then... 

3. Call customer service and ask them to check roaming is activated and to specifically check the data bolt on. 

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Message 2 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Aside from the possibility of being on the wrong data bolt on, can you confirm that you did have data roaming turned on too?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi yes data roaming was turned on, both on my iphone 5S and also on my wife's iphone 5SE but on both iphones no data or texts were possible to any local mobile number as we wished to contact local relations all tries to text failed as did trying to use messanger with mobile data? John 

Message 4 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousMake the checks and do what @jonsie suggested....then see if you have any success with that.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sounds like a manual network search for a different network would be best.
The wrong bolt on will not affect text messages.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have raised a complaint with O2 regarding the charges made for using both phones with O2 Travel when it did not work. We can't do any more than that to resolve what went wrong as we are now back in the UK and everything again works fine as it always does until we leave the UK.

Message 7 of 16

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Eleanor0108
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hiya 

I know this post is a little old now, but I had the exact same issue with my iPhone when in the USA recently. I have been charged for the travel bolt on which never worked, could make calls and texts but no internet only worked on the wifi and therefore called O2. They have said that my phone was stil registered as a Blackberry phone (my old phone previous to iPhone 5s) and that is why my data would not work. My phone has never worked abroad for data and this is the reason why. I'd suggest callin O2 and checking if your phone has been updated on their system as an iPhone. They also refunded me £15 for the data that never worked and for the nuisance of having to sort out their mistake!

hope that helps?! Eleanor

Message 9 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Eleanor0108 Thanks for posting. We do find that iPhone often have the wrong data package applied which is why they have trouble working abroad. Always wise to check before you travel....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 16