Did you mean: 

Upgrading

Rebecca_H
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All, 

I am very confused about upgrading - I have message on my daughter's number saying she can upgrade now but her contract is not due to end until Oct 21. (she really could do with a new phone).

I want to stay with O2 but the deals offered are not as good as ones I have seen elsewhere for upgrades. 

My question is can I only do an early upgrade directly through 02 or can I select an upgrade offer from somewhere else (where they monthly charge is less for more data). 

I hope this makes sense. 

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can provide.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144680 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Rebecca_H 

For an early upgrade, it must be directly with O2 on a refresh tariff.

You need to weigh up which route is cheapest for you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Rebecca_H
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If we are on 02 refresh is it correct that we can cancel the contract without any termination charges? and if so, can my daughter still keep her number if we choose a deal that is with 02 but through a different site? 

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144680 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Rebecca_H 

You must pay off the device first.

You are then free to cancel and go elsewhere or upgrade anywhere. 

An upgrade will automatically retain her number wherever you do it.

Guide: How does O2 Refresh work? 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Rebecca_H
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much for your help that is where my confusion was - the only payment we make is the airtime plan. So does that mean we are free to upgrade and can choose a deal that is more competitive to those that are offered directly from 02

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144680 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Rebecca_H 

If you had a device which has been paid off, yes.

If you were only on a sim only plan, or a standard contract that wasn't originally taken with O2 directly, no.

It's difficult to advise without knowing all your details of which type of contract you have, when taken and where from?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Rebecca_H
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi These are the details that I can find - The company was mobile phones direct

Your order has now been fulfilled and your contract start date is 04/10/2019.  Please note that if you have ordered a handset, then this is supplied by Mobile Phones Direct and not O2.

O2 £24 per month (inc. VAT)
+ Unlimited Minutes
+ Unlimited Texts
+ 5GB Data
+ 24 Month Contract

No Spend Cap (Opt-Out)

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144680 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@Rebecca_H 

That's a standard contract, not refresh.

Unfortunately, this means you will have to pay up to the end (October 2021) if you wish to upgrade anywhere else other than directly with O2.

It will cost you £168.00 as of now if you wish to upgrade elsewhere.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Rebecca_H
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Once again, thank you so much for your reply it has been very useful in helping understand what I can/cannot do in terms of an upgrade for my daughter

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144680 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

You're welcome @Rebecca_H 

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10