Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading but use original sim

Ad1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’m planning to upgrade and got to the basket and it’s asking me if I need a new SIM card. What will happen if I keep my original SIM card and put this in new phone? Will I keep same number? Will everything else transfer? How do I get my current phone unlocked? Do I ask 02 to do this before or after I move sim over? Or am I better getting a fresh sim and asking for number to be transferred?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@Ad1 

If the sim you have now is the same size, you just keep using it.

Your new contract will automatically transfer to it.

How to unlock here which you can do now if you wish Guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@Ad1 

If the sim you have now is the same size, you just keep using it.

Your new contract will automatically transfer to it.

How to unlock here which you can do now if you wish Guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Ad1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks. Will I still need to transfer over all apps etc via iCloud or is there an easier way?
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@Ad1 

Easiest way is a full encrypted backup with iTunes of your old phone then restore that backup when you activate the new phone.

If you encrypt the backup, all your passwords will be saved too, otherwise you'll have to login to all your apps again.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Ad1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks but no idea how? Is this something 02 guru could do instore as considering picking up from a store rather than delivered. I’ve also requested to unlock this phone so I can give it to my son
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@Ad1 

You need to do it yourself on your own PC.

Download iTunes to your computer.

How to backup here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203977#itunes

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Congrats on the upgrade @Ad1 ! Which phone did you go for? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 7