cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to iPhone 5 - Phone is Scratched

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Did my upgrade in the O2 store yesterday, phone was shrink-wrap sealed so didn't really think much about it, presumed it would be brand new.

Anyway, unwrapping it when I got home, noticed a nasty scratch that you can actually feel on the back (the bottom piece of glass) there are also 2 scratches on the apple logo on the back of the phone.

Now I know what you are going to say, but I've not done these, I've had the phone for less than 12 hours and haven't left the room with it, let alone have it come into contact with anything to scratch it.

Can I take it back and get is swapped? Or are they likely to say I've done it and then it descend into a slanging match? Can I take it to any O2 store or does it have to be the one I got it from?

Or do I take it to Apple?

This wouldn't normally bother me, but the fact that I've only had it, well for less than a day, has annoyed me somewhat.

Thanks for any advice...

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

Your welcome.

You could ring the store and speak to the manager to log with him/her the problem, so when you can visit its all on your account details.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

It happens !

Go back to the 02 shop straight away and first ask if they have your particular model of iphone 5 in stock.

Then after they hopefully say yes present your marked up handset and paperwork and ask for a replacement.

If the employee says no ask to speak to a manager{ess}

If you still get nowhere you could try Apple although im unsure wether they will swap it out due to the handset not coming from them and its not hardware or software damaged. Their Customer Service Support Tel number is :  0845 600 1683

You would need to make an appointment at your local Apple Genius Bar.

Link to contact Apple Uk : http://www.apple.com/uk/support/contact/

When I collected mine from the meadowhall store they asked me to un box it and check it all over,and then set it up in store to ensure i was happy with the handset.

02 and other network shops tend to take your money and signature and push you out of the door.

Learning curve is to always open up and take a good look before leaving the outlet. I once bought an iphone 4 from an 02 High-street shop on PAYG, and took time while sat at the table to look all over the handset before leaving.

The employee just insisted I paid for the phone before the seal was broken to which it was confirmed if the phone was faulty/marked they would either swap it out or refund the purchase.

Let us know how you get on.

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply, most helpful, I haven't been able to come back to the forum since I originally posted the question.

Problem is I cannot get back to the store before this weekend due to work commitments so I will have had the phone for a week so I guess I will probably be fighting a losing battle.

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

Your welcome.

You could ring the store and speak to the manager to log with him/her the problem, so when you can visit its all on your account details.
Message 4 of 5

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
Hi RichL74.

It was quite heavily publicised that the iPhone had build quality issues when it was first launched, with it either scratching really easily or actually coming out of the factory with scratches already present.

Just pop back to you place of purchase and ask what they can do, make sure to take everything you got on the day with you.

Hope you get it sorted.
Message 5 of 5