Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade ?

Rhtg1987
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi everyone , I’ve had my iPhone for 2 years I’m looking to upgrade . There’s still £200 left on my contract but my phone is worth over £200.

o2 are saying I have to pay my contract off before I can upgrade. In the past , I have upgraded they have added the balance to my next bill , and in the mean time I’ve taken my phone in to be recycled , so therefore not paying out any money.

is this not an option anymore ? Where are the days when o2 would wipe the reminder of your contract off if you to were upgrade and take out another 3 year contract with them ?

I could literally take a new contract out with a different provider , then sell my phone pay off my contract and still have £ left. It makes no sense to me , would o2 not want to keep customers in these times ?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@Rhtg1987 

You can not add any outstanding balances on the device plan to your next device plan, this is the problem with Consumer Credit Agreements. 

o2 will also not pay off your device plan anymore either, although they sometimes have targeted offers to some people offering them this. 

Vmo2 with 25million customers I am sorry to say wont miss 1 person paying £600 per year (guesstimate). 

If you can get a better deal elsewhere then take it. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@Rhtg1987 

You can not add any outstanding balances on the device plan to your next device plan, this is the problem with Consumer Credit Agreements. 

o2 will also not pay off your device plan anymore either, although they sometimes have targeted offers to some people offering them this. 

Vmo2 with 25million customers I am sorry to say wont miss 1 person paying £600 per year (guesstimate). 

If you can get a better deal elsewhere then take it. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 4

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@Rhtg1987 wrote:

...In the past , I have upgraded they have added the balance to my next bill

Never heard of O2 offering this widely before, @Rhtg1987 - occasionally they will offer 'upgrade on us' where your last 3 months of contract are effectively eaten by O2 to encourage you into a particular phone model or tariff - I never took up such offers, on the rare occasion (in 20+ years with O2) I was offered it.

...take out another 3 year contract with them ?

O2 only started 3-year terms in 2018 (which I tend to avoid, warranty usually only covers 2 years).

You may well get a better deal with a reseller, where they give you a sweetener (eg, cash back at intervals throughout your contract, or a game console or TV or laptop once you have been with them for a set time period). So unless you have a hugely expensive phone and tariff, I think chances of O2 eating £200 pounds to get you into another top-rated phone and unlimited calls and data tariff contract for 3 years are unlikely.

Look at reseller deals if you want to stay on O2, or hunt around for what other networks might offer - good luck!

Message 3 of 4

Rhtg1987
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi thanks for reply.

my phone contracts expires jan 23, so less then a year left, the phone o2 has valued at £217, my contract has £190 left on it 

I would of thought o2 would be happy to take my phone , and set me up a new contract for 3 years , and call it even Steven’s , makes sense to me.

or I could just get a contract with a new provider , sell this phone and pay if reminder of my contract before my next bill is even due .

financially that makes more sense for me , but would of thought o2 would want to keep me as a customer for another 3 years 🤷🏻‍♀️

Message 4 of 4