Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade on us woes

bexinthecity
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

So I did the 'upgrade on us' thing for the first time when it came up as a pop up on my app. I followed the directions and picked my phone, signed up for the tariff I wanted etc. Then I had a thought after I'd paid my £29.99 up front fee that perhaps I had done it wrong (I am a huge control freak so I have to be sure) and I rang up customer service to check that it was not a new contract and was in fact the upgrade. He confirmed that it was definitely not a new contract, it was an upgrade and that when I take my phone in, all will be good. 

Anyway this morning I log in and now see two separate contracts on my account and ring them up again, explain the situation and the woman tells me that not only have I opened a separate contract but that you cannot use the upgrade on us, online. Only in store (???). 

The phone was in transit to my chosen store so I told her to cancel the new contract because that is not what I wanted, and said I would at a later date go in and sort the upgrade.

She said she was writing down to make a note to call the store at 9am when they opened and once back in stock they'd give me a call. I am having to rely on the trust and word of one employee when my trust in them (on account of the misleading statement made on Friday) is not optimal. So now I am trying not to let my control freakiness take over and believe that they will do as they say.

This is not the best start to my Monday morning.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bexinthecity
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Well this has now been resolved - at least one CS rep kept their promise and called me back to let me know. The other hasn't bothered at all despite promises but there we are.

The order was cancelled and I am now free to go in and upgrade and I should receive my up front refund in 7 days!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Did you not hand in your old phone?
Upgrade on us is only applicable on an upgrade on us tariff and is subject to you trading in your old handset (so not really on them as you're paying in goods)
Message 2 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We’re also told that it has to be done in store although the T&C’s don’t mention that detail.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Definitely has to be done instore so she was perfectly correct with that as you have to wipe your phone and hand it back. 

I honestly wouldn't put too much faith in the store calling you. Much better to do it yourself at the first opportunity. 

Message 4 of 12

bexinthecity
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
I haven't even been in store yet as the phone is in transit - I was told by the guy I spoke to on Friday that when I go in to pick it up, I hand my other phone in (which I was happy to do) I am now told that it's a separate contract entirely.

I am not sure what you mean by 'I honestly wouldn't put too much faith in the store calling you. Much better to do it yourself at the first opportunity'

I didn't ask the store to call me ... I asked the customer service Rep to call me when the contract was cancelled. I cannot cancel it myself so I spoke to customer service who said they'd call the store to tell them to return the phone and when the phone reaches them back at the depot then they will cancel.
Message 5 of 12

bexinthecity
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
Apologies I think I mistyped in my original message - I didn't mean the store was going to call me back, I meant she was.
Message 6 of 12

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @bexinthecity, how are you doing with the contract/upgrade - did you manage to sort it out with customer service? 

Message 7 of 12

bexinthecity
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Well I have had to make several calls back and forth with the store (as they had no idea what I was talking about when I called so no call was made from customer service to them it seems, as promised!) and they promised to send it back. I did have an email this morning to say my order had been cancelled as it had not been collected in 7 days (that's not true so I'm guessing this is the auto message they use for cancelled orders) but the contract is still showing in my account so I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow to see what's happening with it and my £29.99.

Message 8 of 12

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks for the update @bexinthecity, let us know how it goes tomorrow!

Message 9 of 12

bexinthecity
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Well this has now been resolved - at least one CS rep kept their promise and called me back to let me know. The other hasn't bothered at all despite promises but there we are.

The order was cancelled and I am now free to go in and upgrade and I should receive my up front refund in 7 days!

Message 10 of 12