Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade credit check

lyesbkz
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, I'm trying to upgrade my SIM Only plan (to another SIM Only plan). Every post on this forum says this does not involve a credit check, and I called O2 and they advised on the phone that an upgrade of an existing line does not do a hard search and won't impact my credit score.

However I keep getting to the same page at checkout that makes it very clear there will be a hard search.

I don't understand why is this happening when it goes against everything the community and O2 itself is saying. Could it be a bug in the website or something?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149349 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

@lyesbkz 

Are you sure you are following the upgrade path and not trying to get a new contract? 

Definitely no credit checks usually for upgrades.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 20

lyesbkz
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm confident I'm doing the upgrade flow correctly (I've tried three times over the last few days). This is the screen I see in the basket before checking out and it says Upgrade at the top and shows my number which I've edited out:

UPGRADE1.png

After I click on check out, I am asked to do an eligibility check which asks about my employment status and salary, then I get the pre-contract documents emailed to me, then confirm my bank account details which are already there and after that it's the credit check screen in my previous post

Message 3 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149349 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

@lyesbkz 

I'll ask @O2Emma to help you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 20

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @MI5 I will pick this up thanks .

Hi @lyesbkz I will send you a private message to look into this for you.

signature
Message 5 of 20

lyesbkz
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

By way of an update I have called O2 again and it seems to be some problem with this new '360' system. I still can't complete my upgrade because it forces me through a checkout flow for new customers that includes the mandatory credit check, even though it's definitely an upgrade in my basket.

It seems I can only speak to either staff who want to help and say it shouldn't need a credit check to upgrade (but they can't access my account because it's on the new system), or forwarded to people who can access my account on the new system but then don't seem interested in helping and tell me to just do the credit check ("don't worry it definitely won't impact your score" but the website says it will).

This could do with being a bit more joined up. Is there anyone who can look into this who has oversight of everything at once, as it still appears to be a bug with the checkout...

Message 6 of 20

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38391 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1732 Solutions

@lyesbkz wrote:

By way of an update I have called O2 again and it seems to be some problem with this new '360' system. I still can't complete my upgrade because it forces me through a checkout flow for new customers that includes the mandatory credit check, even though it's definitely an upgrade in my basket.

It seems I can only speak to either staff who want to help and say it shouldn't need a credit check to upgrade (but they can't access my account because it's on the new system), or forwarded to people who can access my account on the new system but then don't seem interested in helping and tell me to just do the credit check ("don't worry it definitely won't impact your score" but the website says it will).

This could do with being a bit more joined up. Is there anyone who can look into this who has oversight of everything at once, as it still appears to be a bug with the checkout...

One for the 360 team, @ColinO2 - renewals typically have not required a full credit check.

Meantime, as per @Chris_K's post a while back ( https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/O2-System-Updates-What-you-need-to-know/m-p/1544225/highl... ),

Screenshot_20230527-120501.png

- it should be possible to transfer a web purchase to a shop, if there is an O2 Shop nearby, @lyesbkz - worth a shot, and you can talk face-to-face with one of the O2 Shop staff to be sure?

Message 7 of 20

greycloud
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello. I have the same issue today. I'm trying to upgrade but it's going through the normal credit check as if I was taking up a new contract. Any update on this? @O2Emma or @lyesbkz - did you get it sorted?

Message 8 of 20

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38391 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1732 Solutions

@greycloud wrote:

Hello. I have the same issue today. I'm trying to upgrade but it's going through the normal credit check as if I was taking up a new contract. Any update on this? @O2Emma or @lyesbkz - did you get it sorted?

Advisor assistance today from @O2Helen01 - but as per advice above, try heading into your nearest O2 Shop, with proof of address and photo id, @greycloud. Good luck!

Message 9 of 20

lyesbkz
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, no I haven’t been able to get this sorted yet. I was going to try going in store (after adding the upgrade to my basket) but haven’t had the chance yet. 

Meanwhile some other people I’ve spoken to have been made to do the credit check when upgrading so maybe it’s a new requirement after all.

Message 10 of 20